Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mother's Tulips

Good morning everyone! Even though Mother's Day is a month away I have a Mother's Day card to show you today.


(click to enlarge)

The image is one of Jane's doodles called Tulips available at Squigglefly. The sentiment is another included in the set of Fancy Sentiments by Nina Brackett that will be included in this Saturday's release.

I printed the image out twice and colored it with Copic markers then popped up the petals for dimension. I scored along the line that divides the petals so I could sort of mold it over the pop dot. One little tip if you do this - print the one you are going to layer on top a little larger than the original. That way when you shape it it will still fit correctly on the main image. Here's a close up of the dimension



I'm not that fond of my layout on this card. I had cut and embossed the circles and was just playing around with them trying to figure out what I wanted to do with them. I ended up cutting them in half still not sure if I even wanted to use them on the card, but in the end this is what I came up with. Not one of my best, but I do think the lady I'm giving this to will like it.

Did you know that Squigglefly is the sponsor of this week's sketch at Two Sketches For You? There's an awesome prize too! The winner will get their choice of one of Jane's Doodles from Squigglefly, plus some of Jane's fabulous home made fimo buttons and 5 Uni-ball Signo Broad White Gel Pens!

There's also a fun challenge going on at the Squigglefly blog this week. Kim has challenged the design team to make a flap card and the design team has come up with some wonderful examples! There's a prize there for you too - so head on over there and give it a try!

And if you still would like something to win, how about stopping by Linda's blog where she is celebrating one year of blogging and her upcoming retirement!

Yesterday we took Riley to a favorite walking trail of mine (because it's shady) and Brock fished for some perch in the little creek that runs by it. Boy, were they biting! I think he caught one every time he threw in and Riley had a blast! I filmed some of it, and as soon as I can I will share that video with you. It was a lot of fun watching her.

I'd like to remind everyone that now is the perfect time to do some flower pressing! With all of the pretty little spring violets popping up everywhere, they really make great spring cards! If you need a reminder on how to do it, you can take a look at this older post of mine HERE.

Well, I hope you have a wonderful day, and as always thanks for looking!

19 comments:

Catherine said...

Hi Holly ! What a delightful card ! Your tulips are gorgeous, love the decoupage and the shading is perfect ! Hugs and smiles from Catherine

Catherine said...

Hi Holly ! What a delightful card ! Your tulips are gorgeous, love the decoupage and the shading is perfect ! Hugs and smiles from Catherine

msfreida said...

Oh I hope this computer behaves today! I have a lot of catching up to do!

Holly, this card is just exquisite! Your coloring/shading on these tulips is unbelievable! Thanks for the tip when popping them up! I think this layout is GORGEOUS! The pink "dotted Swiss" really makes the tulips pop! All these pastel colors in that folder reminds me so much of all the dotted Swiss dresses I loved as a child! Just love it!

I was just thinking about your technique of pressing flowers the other day when I noticed how beautiful my phlox was in my flowerbeds! It's such a fun technique that produces such beautiful results!

Oh I bet Ms Riley is a big help pulling all those fish in! Teehee! It definitely has been the perfect weather to get those rods out of storage! Carson went the other day, but didn't have Brock's luck! Can't wait to see Riley in action!

Hugs~

Shawna said...

A beautiful card Holly. I love what you did with the tulips for dimension and your colors and coloring are scrumptious!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

i think you worked magic with those circles! this is absolutely gorgeous!

Dori said...

I look forward to all of your projects and this one is as lovely as ever. If you want to make your decoupage steps mold in a more life-like way, try turning the steps over and running the ring on the handle of your scissors from the middle outwards (like the rays of the sun) either on your embossing mat /mouse pad or even against your thumb... depending on the amount of curve your flower petal / motive needs. Then group your foam pads behind the "highest" part of the motive. A lot of times you won't even see them anymore!

Patricia St Martin said...

Holly, I think you did a beautiful job on your card. I love you colors and it is a perfect time of the year for tulips. I am not sure what type of effect you were trying for with the tulips but maybe if you would of curled the tops a little and brought them forward, that would of given more of the effect you wanted. Your coloring is fabulous.

Niki said...

Great card! And, just as soon as I can brush the snow off some of those violets, I'll think about pressing them. Nothing like spring in Colorado--snowstorm today, and forecast for 70 degress for Sat. Love it.

Niki

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

lovely!

Jane said...

It's simple and BEAUTIFUL! LOVE it!

Kathy said...

Oh my Holly this is breathtaking...love your coloring! Just awesome! Hugs,Kathy

bumblebee creations said...

gorgeous card, can't wait to see the video of Riley!

Maria Matter said...

Holly this is absolutely gorgeous!!! I think your design definitely allows the eye to draw right in on your gorgeous tulips!!!
Blessings, Maria

checkout Stamp with Us challenge, not sure of all the rules there but I do remember they have pink tulips for their inspiration this week!

Kim said...

Beautiful Holly!!!

Debby said...

I think it's a beautiful card. And I love the tulips. Another little trick I need to do more often. Hope you are having a great day!

MANDEE said...

Your coloring blows me away, LOVE IT!!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is beautiful Holly!! Just love your tulips and your colors!!
hugs,
Chris

Heather said...

Totally cute. Love the pop up..

Becky said...

This is so pretty Holly!! I use to flower press flowers as a kid, I have forgotton all about that, thanks for the reminder.