Sunday, May 2, 2010

Birthday Shellabration

Good morning and happy Sunday everyone! Today I have a card that uses the lovable Mermaid Birthday drawn by Jackie Mathews and available at Squigglefly. I can not think of anything that would make a little girl scream with delight more than this adorable mermaid! Little girls eat mermaids up - they're right up there with princesses and unicorns!




(click to enlarge)

I colored her with Copic markers and added some ice blue stickles to the center of the the flower in her hair and the points on her crown. I used a Quickie Glue pen to outline the scales on her tail and then sprinkled on some diamond dust. I like doing the lines of glitter rather than glittering the entire tail because it adds a little texture and keeps it looking "fish tail" like. The candle on the birthday cake is topped with an elongated diamond shaped crystal and I colored it with a yellow Copic marker.

The layout is from Splitcoast Stampers sketch challenge last week. The inside of the card uses some of the same designer paper



(click to enlarge)

I printed the sentiment and then cut out a shell shape that I found on the internet. The little girl who gets this might not appreciate the silly pun, but I love puns (as you should know by now) so I put it in there anyway!

Hope you have a great Sunday! Thanks for looking!

11 comments:

Shawna said...

Adorable! Love the use of Stickles and I love how you used the glue pen and diamond dust. Clever idea with the inside, too!! Hope Riley is back to her old self ---- what is it about wire hairs? Ya just can't keep 'em down! Enjoy your Sunday!

Shawna said...

I just went back and looked at your card again and noticed the 4 squares ----- it looked like purple ribbon at first glance. Love it!

Catherine said...

Hi Holly ! What a sweet sweet card ! You have chosen just the right papers and the little mermaid is so cute ! Love the glitter on the scales and the flame of the candle ! What a great idea ! Hugs and smiles from Catherine

Dawn B. said...

Awww this is so sweet.. The sentiment is perfect.. I love this.. Great job. Her scales look real...

Linda L said...

Beautiful card Holly. How did you do the balloons? They look so cool the way you can see through them.I love all the sparkle this card has.

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

wow! how did you do the balloons? i love how the back one shows thru the others! fabulous!

Maria Matter said...

oh Holly, your coloring is just Perfect! Beautiful card!

Hugs & blessings!

msfreida said...

Oh you are sooo right about mermaids and our lil girls! Sara couldn't get enough of "The Little Mermaid"! She even had her room decorated like her! :) Ahhh sweet memories!

Like the others, I want to know how you did the balloons! They are AMAZING! This image is so precious, I think I will use it on a scrapbook page with Sara's 5th birthday cake...yep, The Little Mermaid! How cool will that be? I will definitely do her tail like you did because it looks SOOO AWESOME! The jewel atop the candle looks fabulous too! :) This is such an ADORABLE card and I disagree with you...I think some special lil girl will get a kick out of your sentiment! It's perfect! ;)

Well I hope this internet stays up long enough to get this posted! It has really been playing some evil tricks on me because of the weather. I hope things clear up over on your side of the fence soon too because we all are going to need boats if it doesn't! Stay safe, luv!

Hugs~

Jackie said...

You did a great job with this image! Thanks so much, i just love it!

Jackie Mathews

Jackie said...

Thanks for making my image look so dang cute! I really appreciate how hard you and the other design team members work.

Sincerely,

Jackie Mathews

Kim said...

Great card Holly!!!!!