Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Chillin' With Some Bears and a Special RAK event

Don't forget to leave a comment on this post if you'd like a chance to win the July issue of Scrap and Stamp Arts magazine.

Hi everyone! Today is my youngest daughter Chesney Young's 26th birthday and I want to wish her a big Happy Birthday! I love you Ches!

Before I get on with my regular post I wanted to tell you about a special RAK event and Squigglefly is honored to be a part of it. I'm sure most of you have heard by now that Lisa has started this event for her sister Jayme. If you haven't, you can read about it HERE.
Jayme loves frogs and Crissy Armstrong was sweet enough to draw this adorable Beach Baby frog in Jayme's honor and offer it free so everyone can make a frog card for Jayme! I think it is such a wonderful thing to see so many people pull together to make a person feel better!

I chose to use a different little frog that Crissy drew for Squigglefly called Mort the Frog


(click to enlarge)

I colored it with Copic markers and chalked the ground and sky and then used my trusty Art Impressions grass sprig stamp to stamp over the ground. The sketch is from the Sketch and Stash challenge blog. You're supposed to tell which items you used from your stash to make the card, and on mine I used the brads in the flower centers and the eyelashed googly eyes. Don't you just love those things? I colored the lids on the googly eyes with a Copic too. I thought Jayme would get a kick of those eyes!


Okay, now today I have two more cards to show you! Squigglefly's last release had a couple of shy bears in inner tubes; Floatin' Bear and Tubin' Bear. I fell in love with them and couldn't wait to make a card with the two of them together!


(click to enlarge)

Aren't they cute? I colored them with Copic markers and chalked my sky. Of course I had to add some stickles to the water! It's easy to miss, but if you click on the picture and enlarge it you can see the little rain dots splash I added by the sentiment.

Then on Monday the Clean and Simple challenge on Splitcoast stampers had the theme of summer, so of course I had to use one of the bears for that!


(click to enlarge)

Again, I colored with Copic markers and chalked my sky. The letters were stamped with a clear stamp set that I have had for so long I no longer remember what company makes them. I stamped them with a white Colorbox ink pad. I added buttons to the corners so I can enter this in the Incy Wincy challenge too!



Yesterday Joanne left a comment on my post asking how hot it was when I was complaining about it being too hot. I tried to find her profile so I could write her privately, but she has her profile private - so Joanne if you're reading this today it was 93 the days I was complaining.

I'm going to try really hard to stop complaining about the weather though. There are people who have so much worse things to deal with and my whining about the hot summers is such a trivial thing! I may not like the hot weather, but instead of complaining about it I will focus on being thankful I have air conditioning and fans!

There is a man named Nick Vujicic who was born without arms and legs. He goes around the country giving inspirational speeches to schools and churches and he is just an amazing man. I saw this video several years ago, and it still inspires me today so I thought I'd share it with you all here because we can all use a little perspective like this. He has several other videos on you tube too, but this one is my favorite. It shows what he has to go through just to get out his door in the mornings and he does it all with an attitude of thankfulness that is so inspiring.



If you can't view the video on my blog, you can see it on youtube HERE

Have a fantastic day, and thanks for looking!

17 comments:

Becky said...

What gorgeous cards. Love that frog, and that fabulous design paper. And those chilling bears are too adorable.

Chesney said...

Thank you. I love you too!

Catherine said...

Hello Sweetie ! I love your three cards Holly, they are really fun ! The shy bears are so cool and I love this little frog with her beautiful eyes ! When I look at your photo I can't believe that you have a daughter who is 26 !!!! I am like you and I complain about the weather : too cold, too wet, too hot... But here in England it is almost a national hobby !!! Hugs and smiles from Catherine

Margaret xx said...

Fabulous cards. I especially love the frog one as I, like Jayme, adore frogs in any form

msfreida said...

Happy Birthday, Ches! :) I hope your day is as special as you are! ;) Sending BIG hugs!

I will do my best to get Jayme a card out...lots of folks coming in from out of town today for graduation. Regardless, I will keep her in my prayers and pray God gives her comfort and strength. My heart goes out to her and her family.

Thanks so much for sharing Nick's video! Ohhh I needed this today! What an inspiring young man he is! Isn't it amazing how God gets His message across?

Now to these MEGA-AWESOME cards! WOW! The one for Jayme is SOOO ADORABLE! Ohhh those eyes! :) I know she will get a kick out of those! And that expression...what a ham! :) Now these Shy Bears have to be 2 of my favorites! That Lynne never ceases to amaze me! What fun cards you've created with them! Hmmm...is this a new border punch??? I LIKE! :) All of these show off your amazing talents...SOOO PRECIOUS! :)

Hugs~

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

oh i love that frog!
and i just giggle every time i see that shy bear laying in the tube!!!!

go on! complain about the weather. i don't want to be the only one complaining!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHESNEY!!!!! great people born in may!!

be sure she gets a hug from me.

hugs to you:)

Dawn Frost said...

I LOVE Shybears! All of the new ones are just too cute. The two bears together are so perfect, what a fabulous scene you've created! Buy, buy, buy...lol. I have the most adorable Whimsy frog that I'm sure Jayme will love. I hope to post it tomorrow.

Marlene said...

Oooh....lots to comment on.

1. Happy Birthday to your daughter. I cannot believe your YOUNGEST is 26?!!! WTH? Did you start having kids when you were 13?!

2. Love your card for Jayme. I posted one to her yesterday, as well. Such a sad story. :(

3. LOVE those shy bears! OMG - I HAVE to get them!!! Thanks for the heads up - I've never seen those before. They're ADORABLE...and your cards are FANTASTIC!

4. I have seen that clip before - and that young man is amazing.

Have a terrific day! Love visiting your blog. :)

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

OMG Misses! You've been BUSY!
Every one is too cute. I love your froggy for Lisa's sis. I will be working on a card for Jayme later today.
Your cards always make me smile. :O)

Patricia St Martin said...

Holly, everyone one of the cards are wonderful. your frog is outstanding it made me laugh when I first looked at it. sooo cute. All the beards look like they are having so much fun.

Becky said...

What gorgeous cards Holly! I love that frog!!
Thanks so much for joining us at sketch and Stash!
Love Becky xx

Lorraine A said...

oohh wow ,,, what gorgeous cards !! I love the bears on the rings ,, how cute are they and the froggy image too ,,, am sure Jayme will love your card :-)

thanks for joining the Sketch and Stash Challenge

Luv
Lols x x x

Kim said...

These are wonderful cards Holly! I made a birthday card for my son-in-law with the shy bear lying on the tube! I know he will love it!!!

Sue said...

really lovely selection of cards and i especially love the cute frog wiht hte googly eyes...brilliant:)

thank you for joining us at sketch and stash

sue
xx

bumblebee creations said...

Wow Holly-what an inspiring video!! Emily and I really enjoyed watching it-she wants to watch more of them!! Thanks for sharing it with us-it does make you stop and really think!!!
I will try to get a card done for Jayme too--love yours by the way!

Heather the MooseLover said...

Thanks for posting the link to the frog card project. I hadn't heard about it.

I love your Shy Bears cards- especially how you combined 2 of them on 1 card. Great coloring too.

Dawn B. said...

Happy birthday to Chesney...a day late.. What beautiful cards.. I sent a card to Lisa's sister too.. So sad. That video was amazing Holly.. Very inspirational. I can't even imagine. What a spirit he has.. TFS