Friday, June 11, 2010

Button Tree and Doing It Old School

Hi everyone! Are you glad it's Friday? I know I am! I have a card to show you today that I had such fun making. I used Michelle Bertuzzi's Up, Up and Away set again but this time I printed out the tree.




(click to enlarge)

Once I had it printed the only thing I had to color was the trunk of the tree and I used colored pencils for that. Then I tied some green embroidery floss through some buttons and stuck them over the circles on the tree. They were a perfect fit!

The sky and grass were chalked and then I stamped some grass sprigs over the ground and dotted different colors of marker in the grass for wildflowers. the one little butterfly is punched out of a piece of shimmer sheet. Then I pierced some holes along the bottom in a wavy border. I really like how it turned out, but I'm thinking I might still add a sentiment somewhere before I send it.

The sketch is from this week's sketch challenge on Splitcoast Stampers, and the Ways To Use it challenge on Splitcoast Stampers was to use some kind of bug on your card so I have the little butterfly. The CAS-tastic Challenge is to make a clean and simple card using buttons!

Well you know that tomorrow is another release day at Squigglefly and I wanted to give you a sneak peek of one of the new images. This one is called Date Night and is drawn by Lynne Stansbery


(click to enlarge)

I went old school on this and colored it completely with colored pencils. I didn't blend them with odorless mineral spirits or anything. Colored pencils is how I used to color everything, and then when I learned about blending with mineral spirits I did almost all of my cards that way, and then Copics came into my world and I rarely use pencils anymore.

The sentiment is from My Sentiments Exactly, and I pierced a scalloped border along the top and bottom edges.

Isn't the image a sweet one? I'm entering this one in the Cute Card Thursday challenge which is to make anything but a square card. My card is long and fits in a legal sized envelope. I'm also entering this in the Paper Play challenge. They want you to make a card that has to do with home, and if you're anything like me you spend a little time every night on the couch watching some television, so I think this fits! Be sure to go to Squigglefly tomorrow (well maybe even tonight - sometimes Ashley releases them a little early!) and see all of the new images!

Enjoy your Friday, and thanks for looking!

13 comments:

Becky said...

Yes Friendship worth keeping is so sweet. And love the tree, the buttons are just fabulous on this

Shawna said...

Love both these cards Holly! The button treatment on the first card is so cute and all I can say for the shy bears cards is "AAAWWWW!!!!" It is adorable and the perfect image for a card I need to send. Have a great weekend!

MANDEE said...

When I saw that tree image, I instantly thought buttons too! LOL! Great job, as ususal!!!! :)

Vicki said...

ohhh Holly I love what you did with that tree! Awesome idea with the buttons. And the Friendship card is to die for...your coloring is wonderful no matter what medium you use kiddo! I am always in awe with your coloring! Ohhhh YES I am so glad it is Friday!! And I have Monday off so that makes me even gladder! hehe...if that is a word! Have a great day Holly.

HUGS!
Vicki

Marlene said...

Both your cards are sweet! Go you, reverting back to your colored pencils! :)

LOVE that new image. How cute!!!

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

I love your button tree. It's so sweet. And the bears on the sofa 'friendship' is too cute. love the coloring.

bumblebee creations said...

After last weeks release-I can not wait to see what is in store to release for this week!!!! Hurry up Sat!! Love both of your cards!!!! Pencils hmmm...? Maybe I should get mine out for a change too! Well, MAYBE......: ) but I am just getting the hang of the copics -so maybe I should wait for awhile!

Maria Matter said...

fabulous Holly!
love your button tree...brilliant!
And your ShyBear coloring is awesome, I think when you have your coloring talent Holly, it doesn't matter what you use! :)
Hugs & blessings!

Deb Neerman said...

FABulous!

Thanks for joining us in this week's CAS-tastic Wednesday "Buttons" clean and simple card challenge!

Tink said...

Your tree is GREAT!! I just LOVE the Shy Bear card!!

Tracey said...

Gorgeous cards Holly, I love buttons on the tree & the cute bears image :)

Hugs
Tracey
x

Karen B. said...

What a fun scene you've created with your first card design, I really like the paper piercing. And way to go old school with your second, as that is a fun creation as well!

msfreida said...

Well my "old-school" coloring never looked like this! Even clicking to enlarge made it even more apparent! Your blending and shading is impeccable! I ADORE the button tree! And ohhh those DPs!!! SOOO GORGEOUS and such an awesome sketch! This new Shy Bear image is the SWEETEST! Oh that Lynne...what a creative mind she has! LOVE this sentiment too...and SOOO TRUE! :) FABULOUS cards!

Hugs~