Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Card That Almost Wasn't

Good morning everyone. I am not even going to mention the excessive heat today or complain to you one bit about how unbelievably miserable it is. I won't even use an exclamation point when I tell you yesterday's heat index was 115. I'll just wish you all better weather than we are having, and invite you down if this is the kind of weather you love. I WILL tell you how having this heat really makes you stop and think about the troops fighting for our freedoms in heat that is so much worse than this.

I have a card today that is the card that almost wasn't and maybe shouldn't be. It seemed nothing went right on this. I wanted to try my hand at one of the T-slide cards they showed how to make in a recent Splitcoast Stampers newsletter.

I printed the Daisy Fairy image onto some new paper and colored her with Copic markers. I am not happy with how the Copic markers colored on this paper, and I almost threw it away but then I decided to see if I could make it look a little better by using some colored pencils over the marker. It didn't really help much, but I decided not to pitch it. I should have left well enough alone, but I decided to add some crystal effects to the eyes. I set it aside to dry and instead of it drying in a nice clear bubble over the eyes it kind of sunk in and crackled. Not pretty!


(click to enlarge)

Then when I went to put the T-slide together I didn't have my paper on right side up, so I had to improvise and make my pull on the other side. The slide mechanism doesn't work that smoothly either. The wings turned out nicely though! Oh well, I'm sure I can send this to some little girl who won't look too closely at my work


(click to enlarge)

Have a wonderful day, and thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my goodness the heat is really getting to you. This card is lovely. She looks very pretty. I even "clicked to enlarge" to try to find what you were talking about. Her wings are wonderful. I hope the heat break soon for you. It really is no fun when you can't go out and enjoy the weather.

msfreida said...

The saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure", fits this card very well because I don't see ONE thing wrong with it! I think it's BEAUTIFUL! Such a fabulous image and your coloring is superb, as always! And oh those wings!!! WOW! Needless to say, I've never tried a T-slide, and probably will never have the patience you have! LOL I'll leave that one for you pros! :)

It's ironic that you mention our troops and the heat they endure because it's just what I reminded my kids of yesterday! Oh what we take for granted! Having no air in this sweltering heat is definitely an eye-opener!

Hugs~

Shawna said...

Some little girl will adore this card Holly! Cracked eyes? Perhaps she has been in that awful heat too long. Haven't we all made cards that we just are not happy with? I am so glad you didn't chuck this one, she's an adorable fairy!

Rachel said...

Oh holly this is adorable!!! i know exactly the kind of day you are having but i must say your card came out beautifully!!
hugs,
Rachel :o)

bumblebee creations said...

you are way to hard on yourself! I think it is perfect just the way it is!

BlueRose said...

Sometimes we are our worse critic, I don't see anything wrong with it. I do hate it when cards just fight you all of the way. However, the end product is very cute to me♥
Huge Hugs

Marlene said...

Yeah, yeah, whatever! You're way too hard on yourself...this is cute!

Maybe the heat is turning you into a crotchety impatient card-maker. heehee.

Luv ya!
xoxox

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

Holly I think it turned out nicely, adorable in fact. Don't be so hard on yourself. My t-slide didn't slide smoothly either. But I still enjoyed making it. Have a terrific afternoon! How's Riley?

I'm afraid it's so stinkin' hot here, Seamus does the Texas Two Step when I let him out and he has to cross the steamin' hot patio to go potty.

Margaret said...

Lovely card, nothing wrong with it at all :o)

My son's in Afghanistan at the moment and, to use his words, it's seriously hot! It has been as high as 135F. Can't imagine how they must be feeling under their body armour, kit and those hats weigh a ton!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

oh u r just way too hard on yourself! it's wayyyyyy better than something i could do - for sure!!!!!

i'm glad it's not that hot here. hubby & i would be at each other's throats! just kidding. he'd be where he always in - in front of the tv and i'd be in front of the compy. what a life!!!

hugs :)

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

I am so sorry this card fought you Holly. It is beautiful!! I love the colors and coloring. Great slide card too. Looks beautiful to me.
Have a great day!!
hugs,
Chris

Jennifer Scull said...

sending cool breezes your way....
and your card is so precious! :)