Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Chirping For Fall

Hi everyone! With this little touch of cooler weather we're having I find myself looking for other signs that we might get an early Fall this year. It was the thought of cheering on Fall that I made today's card.


(click to enlarge)

I printed the Chipper Bird image from Squigglefly twice and after coloring the leaves they were glued on at the ends so that the tips could be flipped up a little for dimension.

The second printing was printed onto some brown card stock and then I ran the card stock through the cuttlebug with the distressed stripes embossing folder to make it look a little more trunk like. Everything was colored with Copic markers except - come one you can say it with me by now - the sky and the grass and they were chalked. Then I stamped some grass sprigs over the grass area.

I glued two pieces of designer paper together and cut an X in the middle to fold back an opening to frame my image. The folds are held in place with some tiny eyelets. Instead of a sentiment, I let a brad speak for me! I had a cute round brad that says "Autumn Days" and a little fall leaf that are from Recollections and stuck them in the lower right corner. This card looks so much better in person than it does in the photo.

Today I want to point out a great card that Jennifer Scull made with Lynne Stansbery's Iguanaimage. She made two of these, one for each of her sons who just left for school. When I saw it I knew it was the one to share with you! You can see Jenn's card HERE.

I hope your day goes smoothly, and thanks for looking!

14 comments:

Vicki said...

Oh wow Holly, great dimension on this card! And I love what you did with the dp to frame out your image...great idea! Those leaves look so real and fall like! Off to see Jenn's card...have a nice cool day!

HUGS!
Vicki

*Vicki* said...

Oh how cool!! I love the colors in your leaves Holly!! What a darling Fall card!! I'm so ready for this season to come! :) HUGS

msfreida said...

FABULOUS card, Holly! What a creative design for this awesome image! Love the texture you have from the EB folder...such a creative idea! Leaving the leaf tips free really adds dimension too! Oh I truly hope fall will show up early!!! That heat almost got the best of me!

Off to see what Jennifer's done now! That girl just blows my mind with her talent! :)

Hugs~

Nana Bev said...

Sweet card, Holly. Makes me wish for a cool fall day. :)

Maria Matter said...

love the way you colored the leaves here Holly! yay fall!! A very cool card with your folded back frame & textured tree!
Enjoy your day!
hugs & blessings!

Shawna said...

Love the unique frame you made for your focal image. Great card Holly!!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

oh yeah! give me fall. give me fall NOW!!!! we have a gorgeous day today too - yay!

absolutely stunning card. great colors and super layout!

now, i have been having a time lately. seems like i think i "got it done" and then there's a screwup. sooooo, if you happen to see my brain around, could you please send it back. i'm really starting to miss it!!!! lol

hugs :)

little cardmaker said...

So cool. I've never seen the "x" technique before. And I'm looking forward to fall too...especially after yesterdays winds.

Debsg said...

Great card. Lovely colours. I love the tiny leaf.

Cheryl said...

Very cute! I love how you colored the leaves.

Marlene said...

Adorable card! LOVE how you did those leaves...both the way you turned them "for dimension" and the way you colored them! BRAVO!

Kathy Braun and Lucky said...

Holly, great card and love how your gave it dimension. So happy to have found your blog and thank you for stopping by my blog, Lucky Stamper and the videos on digis, I really love using them and there are such cute images out there.

Alice Wertz said...

so cute! love the colors on the leaves!

Patricia St Martin said...

These are the best fall leaves,I just love then the colors are stunning. I think you did a great job on your card,