Monday, August 16, 2010

Fall Four

Good morning everyone! I had so much fun coloring these cards yesterday. I used the From Tiny Acorns image that was just released at Squigglefly this weekend for all of these. I love the way that Lynne Stansbery has drawn these. She gives you such good shading guidelines that coloring is a breeze.

I thought the sketchy look to this image would look good with soft colors, so I shied away from the Copic markers and started out with chalks.



(click to enlarge)

Next I decided to try coloring these fall beauties with my watercolor crayons. I just squirted some puddles of water and dipped my aqua pen on to the crayon to pick up some color and then swirled it in the water so it would be more diluted. The colors are definitely pale with this technique but I was afraid I'd run it if I tried to add more color so I left it.



(click to enlarge)


Next I decided to try colored pencils. This is just straight coloring and no blending with odorless mineral spirits or anything. The colors are more vibrant.


(click to enlarge)

So, liking the vibrant colors after all, I decided to go ahead and see how the Copic would look


(click to enlarge)

The one thing that messed this card up was when I went to stamp the "Autumn Splendor" sentiment from Unity at the top, it fell off of the acrylic block right on to my image and left little black marks on the right side! Oh well, nothing to do about it!

There's a new challenge on the Squigglefly blog today! Go see what Maria has challenged everyone to do! Have a great Monday, and thanks for looking!

10 comments:

BlueRose said...

I love all of the variations of the different coloring techniques you used. Most of all I love the watercolor crayons with the aqua pen the most I love those soft fall colors. Thanks for sharing, love your cards.

Maria Matter said...

oh they're gorgeous Holly!!!
I really like this image and your coloring is tops!!!

enjoy your Monday!
hugs & blessings!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

wow holly! these are absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! very fallish too. the new releases are fantastic. just keeps getting better & better!

hope it cools off for you today. it's beautiful here. have the house opened up - yayyyy!

hugs :)

msfreida said...

I'm SOOO glad to see your interpretations of this image because it was the first one I grabbed when I saw all the new images! I TOTALLY fell in love with it and each one of your techniques brings it to life! These are GORGEOUS Holly! Each one is so different, but equally beautiful! Love the DPs you paired it with, and the simple designs are PERFECT! WOW! :)

Well my nest is completely empty now...for a while anyway! They are both situated in their apt/dorm and now I will finally get some time to play (after a major housecleaning)!!! YAYYY! :)

Hope you have a fabulous week!
Hugs~

Marlene said...

Wow - all of these are fabulous - and your coloring is da bomb, lady!! BEAUTIFUL!

(I envy that you can water color....because that, my friend, I have major suckage with.)

KellyRae said...

Each version is fabulous. The chalk and watercolor versions are so soft and dreamy and the straight colored pencil and Copic are vibrant and awesome!

Becky said...

These are stunning, love how you colored these.

Margaret said...

They're all gorgeous but I do like the last one best. the colours are lovely :o)

Alice Wertz said...

wow! these are so pretty, Holly!

Vicki said...

Hello Holly! Sorry I have been MIA for a while...omg...I loved seeing the variation in color mediums and gosh you have the patience of a saint! I don't know if I could color one image that many times. Your coloring is always superb no matter what medium you use!
HUGS,
Vicki