Monday, September 20, 2010

Morning Glories Bird Bath

Hi everyone! I hope you had a great weekend! Mine was a fun one. I spent a lot of time on Saturday visiting with some friends I don't see often enough, plus there was a bit of play time in my craft room. Also, I'm very excited to say that I got tickets to go see Wicked when it plays here in November! I read the book a long time ago and I hear great things about the musical, so I'm super excited about that!

Another thing I'm super excited about are the new releases at Squigglefly over the weekend! When I first saw Marla Shega's art work I just loved everything. I was a little intimidated at coloring them though, because they are beautiful left alone and I thought they would be hard to color. I was wrong though; they really are very easy to color!

The stippling she does in her artwork makes it easy to see which areas should be shaded more, and you can even leave some parts uncolored and it looks great! The image I loved the most and couldn't wait to color is the Simple Pleasures Bird Bath.

I love that it has a gorgeous image that will fill the whole front of a card, but also already has the sentiment built right in!


(click to enlarge)

I colored this with Copic markers and since the image has little dots around the background I decided to try my hand at the dotty backgrounds so many people are doing with their pale Copic colors.

Once I was finished I thought it needed something, but I didn't want to detract too much from the image, so I stuck a tiny paint brush tip in some Iridescent medium and dotted it around with the dotty background I made. It adds just a little shimmer to it. You can see it a little in this photo here


(click to enlarge)

I have colored several of her images and am excited to show them all to you, but if I did that I wouldn't have anything to show you throughout the week!

Before I forget, I've had a few people ask me about the snowflakes I crochet. I don't keep track of which snowflake came from which pattern, but there are a ton of snowflake patterns HERE which is where most of mine have come from.

I realize that I have now surpassed my 300 followers mark, and I have not forgotten about the blog candy! In fact, I have been adding to it! As soon as I can get it all assembled and take a photo I'll be posting it!

Have a fantastic start to your week, and thanks for looking!

24 comments:

Tracey said...

This is gorgeous Holly! I love it!! xx

Catherine said...

Your card is absolutely fantastic Sweetie ! The image is so beautiful and your colouring is perfect ! Lots of hugs and love from Catherine

msfreida said...

:) I was so tickled when I read the subject of your post today because this is another image I snatched right off the bat! Is this not GORGEOUSSSSS? And ohhh the colors you used are SOOO PERFECT! LOVE your 'dotting' too! :) This is sooo eye-catching, GF! FABULOUS job bringing out the beauty of this exquisite design!

Hugs~

Nana Bev said...

Holly, this is lovely. So peaceful and serene. Love the soft colors. Awesome.

Pam in Ar. said...

Stunning Holly...simply stunning. Did you color the rock on the floor too?? The shading is just so perfect. I love how you colored the flowers blue and then faintly outlines the bath itself....Just gorgeous!

eiyiyi said...

More a work of art than a card. this is simply gorgeous. you're coloring leaves me awed! eileen

Linda said...

I am going to see Wicked for the third time next Saturday. I hope it will be as good as it was when I saw it two years ago in Chicago. It is playing in a smaller town this time. I read the book which was very dark compared to the play. I liked the book but I LOVE the play.
This card is beautiful. Your coloring is fantastic. I think next year I am putting morning glories in my bird bath so I don't have to clean it ever other day. I have very dirty birds. LOL I guess they need the bath.
Thanks for the snowflake link.

Carole RB said...

Hi Holly

Your card is soooo beautiful.
Have a nice day!

Kari said...

oh,my,this is so gorgeous!Wonderful colouring!Fabulous card!
Have a lovely day :)

HUgs,Kari :)

Shawna said...

Holly this is gorgeous! What a fantastic job you have done with coloring this fabulous image. I love all the new realistic images and can't wait to see more of her work.

bumblebee creations said...

HOLY SMOKES! Holly this is just incredible!!! Your gorgeous flowers just pop!! Another awesome image!

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

gorgeous!!! just stunning!

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

gorgeous!!! just stunning!

Rachel said...

GORGEOUS card Holly!!! you colored it beautifully.
Have a fabulous day!!
hugs,
Rachel

Becky said...

I fell in love with this image the moment I saw it the other day. You did an awesome job on coloring this Holly.

KellyRae said...

Gorgeous coloring! Love the delicate dots of copic you added around the image...the slightly blue glow around the bath area is perfect!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

this was gorgeous yesterday and it's still gorgeous today!!!

hugs :)

Emma said...

Hi Holly
I hope you are well, sorry not been by in a while.
Your card is stunning, the image is so beautiful.
Hugs Emma x

Marlene said...

Oh my....this is GORGEOUS....and I will have to check out what I've been missing all week while on vacation.

I'm BAAAAACK now. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Bwaaahaahaa.

(Now if only my brain had returned with me.)

sucor said...

Beautiful! Your coloring is outstanding!

Alice Wertz said...

wow! this is gorgeous, Holly!

Jan said...

absolutely beautiful card!

Sharanda said...

What a gorgeous, gorgeous card!! Stunning...!!!

Terri said...

Beautiful!