Saturday, October 9, 2010

Golden Snowflake Frame

Hi everyone! Well I only have one thing to show you today. It's for the next challenge on the Hope You Can Cling To Challenges. This one is Something Borrowed and Not So Blue. You are supposed to choose a color from one of the cancer care ribbons and borrow something like an idea or a stamp or color scheme from someone else; whatever you want.

I knew immediately what i wanted to do because I had seen this post on Lisa Somerville's blog a while back where she had a snowflake frame that she had altered. I loved the frame and had kept it bookmarked so that I could try to make my own frame similar to the one in her post. Here's the link to Lisa's blog entry - you have to scroll down a bit to see it. LISA's ALTERED FRAME


Here is my frame


(click to enlarge)

Of course the color I chose is gold which is the color of children's cancer care ribbon. I used two coasters to make the base of the frame and spray painted it with some gold paint. then I punched out several different sizes and shapes of snowflakes and spray painted them as well. Then I decorated with pearls and glitter.

The picture is one I dug out of a photo album. It's Ashley when she was almost three years old telling Santa what she wanted for Christmas. (probably a My Little Pony) I scanned the photo and then aged it with the photo software to a sepia tone. After that all I had to do was put it all together and add an easel to the back!

I really love the way it turned out. I hope to get to more of the challenges today!
And you don't forget to check out the awesome new sentiments that Squigglefly released today! Have a great day, and thanks for looking!

12 comments:

Pam in Ar. said...

The frame is wonderful!! I can feel a Christmas gift coming on. I've been in Texas visiting family for the last week and just got home yesterday. While I was there I saw the altered picture I made for my sister two years ago...I thought of you because you were the one that had it on your blog. Do you remember that? You always do such an awesome job Holly!

I like your altered frame better than the one you gave the link to...the picture is too cute...are you going to give it to Ashley?

When is the wedding? Have a great weekend Holly :)

Nancy said...

What a fabulous frame. I love the way you turned the coaster to have the points. I really need to make these for my grandkids. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Becky said...

Holly this is beautiful!! What an adorable picture.

msfreida said...

Oh yes...I remember the "My Little Pony" days...poor thing's mane and tail always ended up looking like a rat's nest! Oh these little girls...sweet memories! This is such a priceless photo of Ashley...I just wonder what was going thru that little mind! BTW...she still looks the same! :)

This frame is beyond exquisite! What a brilliant idea with the coasters. Each snowflake adds its own charm with its sparkle from the glitter and the elegance of the pearls. I absolutely LOVE this! :)

Hope you enjoy your weekend!
Hugs~

Lisa Somerville said...

Love how you altered the coasters into a beautiful fame - makes a wonderful home decor piece for the holidays.

Dawn B. said...

My Little Pony..hehe.. I loved those days.. So much simpler.. This is adorable.. I love the frame.. Have a great weekend.

Jess said...

What an awesome project! The sepia tone of the photograph goes so well with the gold of the frame!

Maria Matter said...

Wow!! Holly, this is gorgeous! The photo is precious and the gold snowflakes are so beautiful!!!
hugs & blessings!

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

Wow....this is gorgeous! I love it!

Tracey said...

Hi Holly, this frame is beautiful & I love the photo too :)

Hugs
Tracey
xx

Marlene said...

WOWZA...that's gorgeous!!!

*Vicki* said...

WOWZER!! This is so stunning Holly!!! WOW!!!