Monday, November 22, 2010

A Real Woman Has A Smokin' Hot Birthday

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend! Mine was! We had a Digi Day at Squigglefly's group on Card Universe Saturday night. If you didn't make it you might want to drop by and check out the challenge. It actually fits in perfectly with my post today because the challenge is to make a funny card - any theme and any Squigglefly image you want!
You have two weeks to get your card entered for the prize which is a package of silver pearls and a package of shake it pouches to make shaker cards super simple! Of course you also get a free Squigglefly image!

There were lots of freebies given away too, so be sure you at least hop over to pick those up! Here's a card I made for the new challenge on Squigglefly's blog and it uses one of the freebies that was passed out last night!


(click to enlarge)

I simply printed the sentiment out on to some ivory card stock and used a shaped template to cut around it. I sponged some Garden Green ink around the edge. An ivory panel was embossed with an embossing folder and then it was sponged also. The sentiment is popped up on some micro pop dots and I glued down a couple of flower shaped pearls. I colored the center pearl with a Copic marker.


Today is Squigglefly DT member Marlene Shaw's birthday, and in honor of that I have two birthday cards to share with you. Everyone who knows Marlene knows that she has a sense of humor that won't quit, so both of my cards are on the funny side.


(click to enlarge)

This first card uses the brand new release Domestic Goddess by Teresa Ward. I printed the greeting at the same time as the image. It's colored with copic markers.

I embossed a piece of designer paper with a Happy Birthday embossing folder making sure that "happy birthday" shows on the piece. then I sponged it with some blue ink to highlight the words and also so the piece didn't blend into the card base.

I punched one corner of a piece of designer paper and stuck the image panel inside. I wanted something to fill in all the white space on the right so I cut a slit with a Basic Grey punch tool to thread some ribbon through. The punch line is inside



(click to enlarge)

My next card is actually the card I sent to Marlene. I hope she already got it before she sees this!


(click to enlarge)


The image on this card is Party Girl by Chesney Young. I colored her with copic markers and did a little chalking in the background. The sentiment is computer generated and cut out with an oval nestabilites. the black flourishes are from a Sizzix die. Here's the inside



(click to enlarge)

Again, the words are computer generated and I used the Whimsy Cake image by Angie Davis. The cake is colored with Copic markers. I added a ton more candles myself and used stickles for the flames. The "smoke" is black chalk.

That's it from me today! If you stop by Marlene's blog, be sure to tell her Happy Birthday! Thanks for looking, and have a wonderful day!

16 comments:

Kim said...

These are amazing Holly!!!! I love the inside statement of the middle card!!! Too funny!!

Pam in Ar. said...

You're on a roll today aren't you!! 3 cards!!! The first card is elegant yet simple...those are the kind of cards I forget to do, instead I'm always trying to think of something hard when it's right there in front of me!! Thanks for reminding me...you always do such a great job :)

The second card looks like it could be a mom that does it all...and with ease!!

What can I say about that last card except, "It's Smokin"....Chesney rocks with her images and you have that knack for getting just the right saying :)

Thanks for sharing. Happy Monday :)

Shawna said...

Love 'em! Those two humorous ones are perfect for a couple of my friends who are having birthdays soon. I will have to go Squigglefly shopping! I forgot all about the party Saturday. RATS!!!

Elaine A said...

Hi Holly -

What really special cards. The ones for Marlene are just hysterical.

Elaine Allen

*Vicki* said...

Holly, first the top card is so elegant and just a perfect "thanks" card!! I love these "hotties" on your cards!! Fun B-Day to send to a friend...or use for your hubby!! :) HUGS

Maria Matter said...

totally fun! I love your cards Holly! You did a great job with all these wonderful images!
hugs & blessings!

Inger said...

Oh wowwww you are so creative Holly!!!
Lovely cards all of them!!
Thank you for stopping by my blog as well :)
Have a wonderful day!

Lola said...

LOL! Oh wow. These are too funny. LOVE em all. I bet she's going to LOVE it.

msfreida said...

Good morning! I was so disappointed when I realized I had slept right through the party. Mark bought me some decongestants but forgot to get the non-drowsy ones...that sucker knocked me out! I can't believe the sentiment you used today is one of the free ones...how AWESOME is that! LOOK AT THAT FONT! WOW! :) Your green and the embossing on the back panel really makes it pop! This is GORGEOUS!
I LOVE the blue/green color combo on the 1st B'day card, and isn't Teresa's image hilarious...all she needs is a tattoo! LOL I LOVE your corner and ribbon treatment...looks so cool! :)And oooh that inside sentiment is sooo good...teehee :)!
Ches really outdid herself on the next image! I could use this as a self-portrait...NOT!!! I love your coloring on her and the black flourishes are perfect! But the inside tops them all...how clever! I know Marlene will get a kick out of this! :)

Hugs~

Anonymous said...

and here I was thinking that the cards were meant for MY birthday today. ha/ha the one about it having to be the candles would certainly fit my advanced age....oh well enjoy it while we are still here to ENJOY IT. right.
love the cards Holly, but then I always enjoy your talent.
cat s.

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

first... i am sooooooooooo sorry i missed digi day! bad stef!

absolutely fabulous cards. oh that marloony will love them both - and only you can come up with those funnies!!!

hugs :)

Marlene said...

Oh, lady, you crack me up!!! You think I'm funny....YOU'RE FUNNY!

Got my card today...and LOVE it...and look at this! All the stars are lined up perfectly!! I was a lazy butt and didn't do any of my blurfing until the end of the day, which means I saw the REAL card before I saw this blog post!

Thanks, lady!!! You're a gem!!!! xoxoxoxox

Dawn B. said...

I am sure Marlene loved her card..What great images. I like the Whimsy Cake..These are all great Holly..

Vicki said...

Awesome cards Holly...YOU have a none stop sense of humor as well! Love that sentiment card Holly.

HUGS!
Vicki

Dawn Frost said...

LOL I LOVE the smoke you put above the cake and candles!! I would never have thought of that. Love the sentiment eat chocolate and bitch! Great cards Holly.

Teresa / Trees aWard in Crafts said...

My word! Don't those images look great in colour? I think the cards are fantastic and just right for the marvellous Marlene. Of course, I love how you used my image the best ;o)

I'm having a great holiday in Australia, thanks, the children love their Auntie Teresa, and when they get a bit too much for me I hand them back to my big sister. Bliss!