Friday, December 10, 2010

A Christmas Kiss

Hi everyone. I'm so busy doing things that I don't know which end is up sometimes. Just yesterday I was talking about so many people being sick with some kind of virus going around and yesterday afternoon I had to take my sister to the hospital because she was sick. We were worried it might be pneumonia because she's had that before and it hits you so fast, but it ended up being this virus. Anyway, we spent three hours in the emergency waiting room, and then another four and half hours having blood drown, x rays taken, and IV's being given! Exhausting to say the least, but the good news is that she is doing better and is back home.

So, with that being said I'm not going to chit chat much, I'm just going to show you a card I made that uses the cute little Penguins Christmas Kiss by Diane Carubia.


(click to enlarge)

I colored this with copic markers, added a bit of faux flower soft, and backed it with a scalloped circle. The background paper is cut into three pieces and laid in place behind the image, but on the white card it was really kind of pointless because it just looks like wider white stripes; don't know what I was thinking there!

The rest is easy to see what I did. I just added some ribbon and a punched snowflake with a button!

Now I told you I wasn't going to do a lot of chit chatting this morning, but I do want to share with you something that Rich Davis shared with me. Rich is one of Squigglefly's artists and also the creator of the Pick and Draw game that I've mentioned here before. I just thought this was such an interesting way to look at the art we all make and thought you'd like it too so here's Rich...

God invented “Art”. It’s His idea.
It’s one of the many creative expressions of His nature.
He loves to create. He created it for His purposes.

I feel homeschool Moms can benefit by viewing art as something that can greatly help them meet their desires and goals for their kids in education.
I hope to voice that simply and clearly. I feel that Art’s greatest attribute is to “serve”. I believe it is like Joseph’s coat of many colors....very diverse. It’s not one thing...like a pin stripped suit....it is a pin stripped suit plus many more outfits all in one according to the need at hand. I believe God always meant for art to serve others and not be it’s own thing.

Unfortunately, we have embraced society’s misconception that art is exclusive. There has often been a snobbishness about art by those who do it. In return, kids who started out with pencils and crayons drawing on white paper (everyone) and enjoyed it greatly eventually decided they were not good enough and stopped trying. Usually, in a group of kids, most of the kids can identify “so and so is the artist”. And that becomes their excuse to not have to try anymore.

But what is art’s benefits by those who take the risk and keep trying it?
I polled others who use art in one manner or another and was overwhelmed to find out that the benefits were far, far more than I realized. It caused me to stop and analyze before the Lord the importance of art in our world....a world that is busy, busy and complicated and stressful and overloaded. Here are some of the benefits...
ART FOR...therapy (helping you visualize pain in your life)
ART FOR...guidance ART FOR...encouragement (think of when you make something for others as a gift)
ART FOR...story telling (a picture is worth a thousand words)
ART FOR...enhancement (bringing a sparkle to dull, lifeless places or activities in your life/schedule)
ART FOR...influencing and pursuading
ART FOR...problem solving
ART FOR...memorizing
ART FOR...bringing order from caos
ART FOR...defining
ART FOR...pain relief
ART FOR...relaxation

So there are only 11 on a list of over 200 that I collected!

If art has so many, many benefits, then why not experiment with using it in more and more areas of need in your daily life. How? Begin by asking Jesus how to use it to serve the needs you have...He invented it. He can communicate the way to you step by step...like a journey. He’ll use any number of means to lead you....people, writings, things you see, impressions and even scriptures.

If art was always meant to be a servant to other’s needs, then those are the places it can be plugged in and used. Let art serve the other areas of your curriculum....let it bring freshness to areas of learning that are static or rote or difficult. Let it bring rejuvenation to areas in important relationships in your life where there has been deadness and confusion. Give it a chance to recharge you in finding the passion God has put in your heart for your life...you were created for good works that have already been planned for you...let’s find them and be about them in relationship with God daily. Art is about serving other needs....that is it’s greatness....not just something pretty to hang on the wall. It goes so far beyond that. And the mark of the Holy Spirit’s touch in our lives daily always is creativity. He’s always freeing us from the things that weigh us down and causing us to gain “new” perspectives on areas/relationships in our lives. He is the God of the living...not the dead.

And, in this way, you don’t have to look at art as “another subject to stick in your curriculum”....it can be His wonderful glue that holds other things together and makes them unified. When kids are creative in drawing and doodling, then they are far more likely to be creative in the other areas of their life...I don’t know why it is that way but I do know that it is true. I’ve seen it over and over. Simple art activities build a good kind of confidence and learning in kids and helps them with problem solving and remembering while their is also “enjoyment” happening in the midst of it.
I believe this is why Art is a gift from God....it is intended to serve with zest and life!
--
Rich Davis
Life is short and precious; let us live it with purpose and passion


Well, have a happy Friday and plases stay well! thanks for looking!

9 comments:

Maria Matter said...

Simply Adorable Holly!

Hope your is feeling better soon!
And thank you for sharing from rich Davis....beautifully said!
Have a wonderful day!
hugs & blessings!

Pam in Ar. said...

Morning Holly :) Sounds like you were very busy last night..thanks for taking time with us today. I hope your sister feels better soon, it seems like so many are sick now..it's this crazy Arkansas weather!! Cold then hot..hot then FREEZING!!!! Hope you get some rest this weekend.

On to the card...I love it. I think what catches my eye are the rich beautiful colors, I seem to be drawn to rich colors and these fit the bill....faux fur?? You always do such a great job :) Thanks for sharing the words of, "ART" I am going to pass it along to a cousin that homeschools...

Have a great Friday!

Shawna said...

What a sweet, fun, cute card. Love penguins and I love their little sparkly hats! So glad to hear your sis is on the road to recovery. Must be some nasty virus!!! Have a fabulous weekend!

Linda said...

Adorable card.
Stay well. The viruses are everywhere. If you didn't pick one up at the hospital you are doing real good.
Very interesting read today. I enjoyed what Rich said.

msfreida said...

GOOD MORNIN'...oh how I have missed ya! I am slowly but surely getting my strength back. Boy what a rocky road this has been! I'm so glad to hear your sister only has a virus because I am still having trouble breathing at times. I guess with it being in both lungs, it just takes longer to recover. But I have sooo much to catch up on! Not only have all my favorite blogs been neglected, I am SOOO far behind with my Christmas shopping, decorating, and cooking! I really hope to put a big dent in it this weekend. Wish me luck! ;)

This card is a sight for sore eyes...what adorable penguins they are! Your flower soft is perfect for their lil caps and you KNOW I love this DP! :) What a fun Christmas card!

I really enjoyed Rich's piece on Art...it really opens your eyes to how dimensional art really is. With my 1st graders, I always tried to incorporate art in as much of our curriculum as possible. Children at this age are mostly visual learners and can easily see the correlation between the variables. Art is such a versatile tool that should be embraced by all.

Well I'm taking baby steps to get back in the swing of things so it may take me a while to catch up on all that I've missed. I just don't want to miss one thing! ;)

Hugs~

*Vicki* said...

Oh my goodness!! Holly, this card is soooo darling!! You know I love the penguins and that sparkle paper is just PERFECT with it!! :) Beautifully done!!

Hope everyone gets to feeling better soon hun! I'm feeling a bit down today myself...think it's time rest!! ACK!

Inger said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family Holly.

Inger

Marlene said...

Adorably sweet card....love those little penguins!

Hope your sister is feeling better today...that sounds scary.

Thanks for sharing this piece on ART. I love art!

Alice Wertz said...

such a sweet card, Holly! love the cute image. hope your sister feels better soon.