Thursday, January 27, 2011

Edgy Valentine

Hi everyone! Did you miss me the last couple of days? My mojo left me and I was hating everything I tried to do, so I took a creative break. Last night however, I did get the urge to work on a card for the Squigglefly Blog challenge and I love how this turned out!


(click to enlarge)

I took the first photo inside with my OTT light directed at it. This next photo was taken outdoors while overcast. Which one do you think looks better? they say natural light is best for photos, but I really think the first photo looks more like the actual card.


(click to enlarge)

This lovely entwined hearts image is just ONE of SIX different, and very unique hearts in the Hearts Set One at Squigglefly.

I colored this with copic markers and added a bit of ruby glitter to some of the tinier hearts. The sentiment was computer generated and cut out with a Spellbinder's tag die and then sponged on the edge with red. I used a Provocraft hearts embossing folder on the background panel.

The challenge is to do something to the edges of your card. You can do anything you want, cut them with decorative scissors, doodle, add punched borders, etc. I chose to do a row of piercing on my edges. I hope you'll go play along in the challenge! Speaking of challenges, today is the last day to get your card in the Color Bowl challenge on the Papercraft Planet and SNR Card Universe groups! The winners will be announced tomorrow.

I hope you have a great day, and thanks for looking!

21 comments:

JanR said...

Holly, this is so pretty and romantic. Just lovely!

I agree, the first photo is the better photo, by far.

Nana Bev said...

Pretty card ... love the hearts and vines. Very neat tag on the bottom. Lots of elements to admire... Good job.

Patricia St Martin said...

Beautiful.. Love your card. Many of us have those kind of days where we just need to take a brake but it is nice you are back. The hearts are stunning, your coloring is awesome. Love the red borders and the piercing on the edge is a elegant touch and the embossing the background, your tag and the ribbon ties it all together.
Hugs, Pat

Betty J Schaub said...

It's a beautiful image and your coloring is fab. I love your pierced border but, lady, that looks like a lot of work!!!

Card Crazy said...

Lovely card. Beautiful border treatment, love the embossed background, and your coloring is gorgeous. Thanks for playing at Squigglefly.
Sue S.

Tammy said...

Sure you were missed. I was afraid you and Riley fell down a rabbit hole.

Beautiful card and especially lovely image. I have to agree with you on the lighting. Good to known there is an alternative for days without sunshine.

Dawn Frost said...

I have days where I can't create but when I do they still don't look as great as your cards! Beautiful card, love the borders!

Shelley said...

Lovely and elegant!

bumblebee creations said...

Yes- I definitely missed you--I kept checking to see you had a new post or not!! I really think the first pic is brighter. Love this card--love how you did the ribbon! And of course your coloring is magnificent!

Pam in Ar. said...

I was wondering where you'd been! I have had a lot of things going on recently but I was going to email you today if I didn't see a post. Am glad you haven't been sick :)

.....on to the card....I LOVE IT!!!!! This is my kind of card :) There is nothing I would change about it....so pretty.

Have a great day and if this card is any indication of mojo coming back...I'm in Love :)

Becky said...

I like the lighting on the first card. But what do I know..:)

This is gorgeous, love the white and red, and love the beautiful image.

*Vicki* said...

WOWZER!! Holly, this is just gorgeous gorgeous!!! I love your pretty edges...so elegant and what a stunning image to pair it work!! Beautiful job hun!! Thanks for joining in the fun!! :) HUGS

Dani said...

((hugs))

I love your card! So sweet and perfect!!

Rachel said...

oooh Holly such a gorgeous image and beautiful card!!!
hugs,
Rachel

Marlene said...

Gorgeous card, Holly! What a pretty image. I agree with you. The lighting on the first card looks nicer to me. The second one has too much of a blue hue to it.

Stephanie said...

Holly......Lovely, lovely card!

I agree w/ the comments about your photos. I only photograph my cards using an Ott light. If I take them anywhere else they just don't look as good. I made a cheap little photo box thing and put my light box over top.....Works like a charm every time!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

absolutely gorgeous. been wondering where you've been!

hugs :)

Kim said...

This is beautiful!!!!

Maria Matter said...

oh Holly, this is beautiful!!! love the red with all the white and the way you used your ribbon!
hugs & blessings

Vicki said...

Beautiful Holly...I love your piercing, and how you used the ribbon slightly off like that! That is one amazing image!

HUGS!
Vicki

Florist said...

i love this card. so simple and pretty.