Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Going Around in Circles

Hi everyone and here is is hump day already! I'm a super happy camper this morning because the expected snowfall is just about here and the forecast hasn't changed, which means I am off work the rest of the week!

I have that silly Billy Preston song "Will It Go Round In Circles?" in my head since I typed the title of my post! As you know the challenge on the Squigglefly blog this week is to make a card that incorporates circles. You can get your circles any way you want! Well it just so happens that a friend of mine became a grandmother for the first time, so I made her this card to congratulate her


(click to enlarge)

Of course since this is her very first grandchild, the first thing I thought of was the First Timers Set from Squigglefly. I thought the little duck would look cute paper pieced so I printed it on to some green dotted paper from DCWV. Then I colored his beak in with an orange Copic and shaded a little under his wing with a neutral gray Copic.

I chose to use the Congratulations Circle by Jess Holland to frame the duck. I used some pop dots to pop him up and put some blue rain dots on the little dots between the "congratulations" words. A scallop cut from the same dotted paper frames it nicely.
The strip running across the card was cut from a sheet of paper from the same Nana's Nursery paper pack. Easy and quick, but I think it's really cute!

Yesterday we got Riley out to the park because we knew it would be a couple of days before we could get her back out there. I got a lot of good pictures and will share them with you tomorrow - I will say it was a great hunting time for her; she got six field mice!

Enjoy your day, and thanks for looking!

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

Holly.......This is so, so cute! Love that little ducky and the circle you put him in. Your papers are so fun and definitely perfect for a first time grandma!!!

*Vicki* said...

AWW!! Holly, this is so precious!! I love the paper piecing on the duck!! Perfect focal point for the circle too!! :) I hope you get all the snow we've had and more hun!! LOL!! Have fun and keep singing your "circle song"!! LOL!! Have a great day!!HUGS

eiyiyi said...

that duck is just too cute. i love the way you mix patterns so effortlessly that they look as if they always belonged together! hugs, eileen

Becky said...

This is so cute Holly, love how you paper pieced this duck. Can not wait to see pictures of Riley..:)

Shawna said...

Oh, this is just super cute Holly! Enjoy your snow!

bumblebee creations said...

I love it--that rubber duckie is another of my millions of fav's! Super sweet card Holly!

Card Crazy said...

Truly cute card - love the paper pieced duck, he's adorable. Thanks for playing at Squigglefly.
Sue S.

freida said...

Haha...now I have that song in my head! :) I know your friend will treasure this adorable card! The paper piecing looks fabulous and I love how you used the rain dots...just adds to the fantastic design! Such a precious card!

Yep, sounds like you're gonna get your wish! Just be careful when you venture out with MsRiley! :)

Hugs~

Renee said...

Your duck is super cute! I love the banner across the card and the bit of sparkle in the background.

Marlene said...

Eeek..that is adorable!! Love how you paper-pieced this....and the clean and simple layout is beautifully done.

(Of course, now I've got that dang song in my head, too!)

Tammy said...

Just precious. Perfect card for a new baby. Colors are wonderful.

Dawn B. said...

I love this sweet grandchild card.. What a great way to show her some love. Can't wait to be a grandma.. We are getting snow tonight. Only an inch or so..Happy days off.

Dawn Frost said...

What a cute duckie, love the background paper!

Chris (catt871) said...

Hi Holly! Long time no chat!!! This is adorable, I love that paper pieced duck!!! TOO cute!!!
Hugs,
Chris

Chelsea said...

Holly....AWESOME card! :) Love it!