Monday, April 11, 2011

Italian Patio

Happy Monday everyone! Boy was our weekend HOT! Last night some rained moved in though and the forecast for this week is much nicer! I was a busy person over the weekend. I went to a nursery with my best friend and her mother who knows everything you ever wanted to know about plants. I bought a few things to plant in the containers on our front porch. I also worked on pulling up some ivy that has taken over one end of our back yard flower bed. But it was all worth it because our front porch looks so pretty right now with all the flowers in them!

My iris are just about to burst open, and this year is the first year my lilac bush has bloomed! It was planted 11 years ago so I'd say it's about time, wouldn't you? I'll share pictures of everything when the iris open up!

Today is brand new challenge at Squigglefly's blog! Chelsea has issued quite the challenge too. Use fabric and stitching on your creation. I have an idea in mind and will be sharing it with you tomorrow.

As you know there was a release of some awesome new images at Squigglefly over the weekend. One of the images that I loved is Italian Patio drawn by Lynne Stansbery. At first glance it looks a little intimidating to color, but let me tell you that it is much easier than you might think!


(click to enlarge)

I used Copic markers to color this with, and then chalked the sky. After chalking I used a pencil eraser to lightly drase some of the chalk for clouds. The background designer paper was embossed with the textile embossing folder, and I used a piece of ivory lacy ribbon and some brads. The edges of the lighter green designer paper were sponged with some Chocolate Chip ink. I love how it turned out!

I'm am taking the day off work today. I'm going with Chesney to her doctor for her re-check after her gallbladder surgery, and afterwards we are going to go shopping with my sister-in-law and maybe stop for a frozen yogurt! I hope you have a wonderful day, and thanks for looking!

13 comments:

Tammy said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the many colors.

LaVerne said...

Yes, the image did seem intimidating, but you did a great job of it. I love the way you designed your card with the different elements.

Shawna said...

Fabulous coloring Holly! I really love this card --- everything about it! How fun to have a "ditch day" from work :-)

Linda said...

Wow that is beautiful! The card is wonderful.
Have fun with your daughter.

*Vicki* said...

WOWZER!! What a detailed image!! Gorgeous coloring Holly!! I love it!! Smiles, Vicki

Niki said...

beautiful card, great colors.

Our iris are poking their leaves out of the ground, they usually bloom around Memorial Day. Big difference in the growing season between CO and LA.

Marlene said...

Beautiful, what I like to call "rich" image! Have a fun day shopping today...hope the doctor's appointment goes well for Chesney!

freida said...

Well, I'm playing catch-up again...seems like I will never get back to my normal routine! When I saw your card today, it truly was a sight for sore eyes...reminded me so much of the gorgeous vineyards not far from where we lived in CA. The hills Lynne added are perfect to complete the landscape! This image will definitely be used when I start working on my CA scrapbook again. You did a tremendous job with your coloring and card design. So many personal touches that really compliment this true-to-life image. An exceptional beauty here! :)

Hugs~

Sheree said...

Wow!! Love this image and your colouring is fantastic! Wish my patio looked like this and I'd use it!

Roxann said...

Wowzer! This is gorgeous in so many ways!

bumblebee creations said...

What an amazing job you have done with this gorgeous image!! I sure wish I could color like you do!! This is a piece of art--no doubt about it!! Hope you had fun today!

Vicki said...

Hello Holly! What a great card hon! Your coloring is always superb! Such a serene card. Hope your shopping trip was a great one...what a great thing to do on a day off work! Thanks so much for coming by to see me after my long absence!

HUGS!
Vicki

Dawn Frost said...

Holly absolutely gorgeous! What a gorgeous image, you did a fantastic job on it!