Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Squigglefly's Fabric and Stitching Challenge

Hi everyone! I had a great day off work yesterday! The weather was cool and just perfect. I did finish my card for Squigglefly's blog challenge, and I am also entering this into the Digi Design House challenge which is to use stitching on your card.


(click to enlarge)

My best friend is becoming a grandmother in July, and her daughter's baby shower is some day this month so I worked on a baby card for her. I used the Baby Rocking Horse and Baby Text by Diane Knott and printed them on to a piece of fabric. If you would like to see how easy it is to print your digis on fabric, there is a short tutorial HERE.

Once it was printed I colored the image with colored pencils and then I used a decorative stitch on my sewing machine to stitch all around the fabric and attach it to the card stock. Here's a close up of the image and stitching.


(click to enlarge)

I also used the same decorative stitch on the designer paper. I tied some of the thread through three blue buttons and used glue dots to stick them to the top right corner of the image. A little lace on the side and it's done!

I love how this turned out. I still may fray the edges of the fabric before I call it finished, but I may not! I hope you'll join in the Squigglefly challenge too! You don't have to sew anything - you could just rip a piece of fabric and use it as ribbon on your card!

Have a great day, and thanks for looking!

14 comments:

Michelle Single said...

SO cute! GREAT JOB!!! Thanks for playing with DDH

Teresa Jenkins said...

This is Adorable! Lovely image and it is soooo cute on the fabric. Great stitching! Thanks so much for playing along at DDH!

Reflections from Granny said...

Oh my this is just WOW, she'll cherish this card for year to come.

:) Lori m

*Vicki* said...

So gorgeous Holly!! Beautiful take on the challenge!!

Tammy said...

So sweet. Great use of fabric scraps.

freida said...

This will be a keepsake for sure...SOOO PRECIOUS! Shoot...I was hoping you were about to make a big announcement! :(
You chose the perfect image to give this homespun-look an heirloom quality. The stitching looks amazing (my machine only knows straight ahead!)...love the extra flair! The lace and buttons are perfect finishes! I've used your tutorial on printing on fabric with great success. If I can do it, anyone can! :)

Hugs~

Kari said...

This is so lovely,Holly!I love the lace and the buttons!
I think your friend will be very pleased with this card it`s,awsome!
Have fabulous week,Holly
Hugs,Kari :)

bumblebee creations said...

awhhh... this is so cute--love that stitching!! And I love my surprise image that I won from the SF challenge last week! Thanks Holly : )

Marlene said...

Holy moly woman, your stitching ROCKS! (No pun intended, really!)

Dawn Frost said...

I love the fabric you used and the stitching! Beautiful Holly.

Linda W. said...

Ah this is such a sweet and perfect way to welcome baby! She will treasure it for years to come. Beautiful job and loved the video! Your work really does ROCK!

Dawn B. said...

This is precious. I have done this before and love the look.. I think I followed your tutorial. Your stitching is terrific. Gives it a great look.

Stephanie said...

Hey Holly, how you doing? Long time now see! I love your card, so sweet! Thanks for playing along at DDH with us this week.
Hugs,
Stephanie

Diane said...

How sweet that looks, Holly! Don't you just love printing on fabric! I am going to check your tutorial. I have no luck with the pre-mounted fabrics that are ready-to-print. I use full-size Avery labels pressed onto muslin with the muslin cut to the edges cleanly and it works great in my very touchy copier! I haven't done any fabric printing for awhile...
Thank you for using my design! :-)
Hugs, Diane