Saturday, May 14, 2011

Treat Yourself

Hi everyone. How was your Friday the 13th? Anything bad happen to you? Something sure rocked my world! I found out yesterday that the company I have worked for for the past 33 years is going to close their doors this Fall. It's such a sad situation seeing a place you've worked at for so long fold.

It's a small plastering contracting firm, and the economy has been really hard on the construction industry. On top of this we've had an influx of Mexican immigrants who are underbidding us on all the big jobs. They are able to do this because the majority of them hire illegal immigrants who work for next to nothing and the employers don't pay the overhead legitimate companies have like worker's compensation and general liability insurance costs.

I have been really lucky in being employed by a company that has given me flexibility when I needed it. They let me work school hours so I could be home when my children were home. They understood that my family came first and my job came second. I'd like to publicly thank them for all they've given me, but this is still a very sad time in my life.

I keep telling myself that this door closing only means another one is opening for me somewhere, so please keep me in your prayers in the next few months!

Now let's get to something fun! A while back the Ways To Use It challenge on Splitcoast Stampers was to stamp something sweet. I turned to the brand new set of Sundae Sweet Treats by Diane Knott at Squigglefly. This set has four different yummy looking sundaes!


(click to enlarge)

I colored the sundae with Copic markers and added a bit of glitter to the ice cream. Makes you hungry doesn't it? the paper behind the image is some embossed handmade paper with a slight pink tint to it. I got it at Archivers on one of my Memphis trips, and this just about used up the last of it. The sentiment was computer generated and popped up with some pop dots.

I finished the changes on my Star Shaped card and thought I'd show you the revised version. I added some lines of yellow stickles to the star points and then cut out some different colored glittered stars from some designer paper and stuck them on as embellishments. It added just the punch I needed. Looking at it now in the photo though, I think maybe I should have put the stars on the other side because it looks a little off balance. I don't know - I'm tired of thinking about it! I also stuffed the card with some star confetti for an extra fun surprise when the card is opened. Thanks again for the suggestions.


(click to enlarge)

There is no new release at Squigglefly today. Squigglefly does not tell any of the artists what to draw or give them deadline. The drawback to this is that sometimes there may not be enough images sent to them to have a new release. On the flip side, you get great images from happy artists! So, look for a great new release next weekend!

I hope you all have a great weekend, and thank you for stopping by my blog.

21 comments:

eiyiyi said...

I'm so sorry about your company Holly. You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.

Love your star and your ice cream cards.

hugs, eileen

Jane said...

Good morning friend. I'm sorry to hear about your bad news. It's happened to a lot of us. After 26 years all I got was a surprise phone call. Thank goodness they let me retire which meant I got to take my package. Six months later I found a job that is amazing! So know God has a plan in all this. I know it sounds good and will be much tougher to live through. But we'll be here to support you!

Becky said...

So sorry to hear about your company closing their doors. I will be keeping you in prayer.

Love the cards this morning.

Tracey said...

Yum! That first card looks good enough to eat Holly & the I love the cheeky image on the star card :)
Sorry to hear about your job & I hope you get something soon.
Hugs
Tracey
xx

Shawna said...

Holly! I am so sorry for your job loss, but I just know a smart girl like you will be able to find something else in time. I do hope though that you will take a bit of time off before you start the search. A little vacation, so to speak. You will be in my prayers dear friend.

Patricia St Martin said...

I'm so sorry Holly ti hear about your job, you are right it will be another door opening. My hubby and I have gone though this several time my hubby worked at a place for 27 year they moved to Mexico, then another for 14 year and they also moved to Mexico, another for 7 years closed now he is working at the Hospital and I do not think they will close. That is 48 years and he still has to work because we can not aford him not to because of insurance. Is this not a wonderful world. Smile it get better. Hugs...

Linda W. said...

Oh bummer Holly - I totally know how you feel. Altho I'm retired now, we went thru similar situations. But you know what - you eventually get thru the down times and those new windows open up and there's new light for you! Meanwhile, your cards rock dear! Your star card is awesome and I would not do anything different - I love the idea of 'fallout' happening when someone opens it - I do that too!

Tammy said...

Sorry to hear such sad news, I will definitely keep you in my prayers. It really is true that each cloud has a silver lining.

Love your card and the yummy colors you used.

Sara I. said...

So sorry to hear of your sad news but will pray that God will open up some doors *and windows, too* and bless you in the new direction he is taking you. Keep your chin up and keep crafting - you've done a fabulous job on your sundae card -I just love it!

rocqee said...

Hello Holly! I have been following your Blog for awhile, just observing. I am fairly new at being retired and am a total novice at card making and so I really enjoy your creativity. I am so sorry about your Company closing. I, like all your fans, will pray that God opens such a door for you that you that will be just awesome.

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

33 yrs - holy moly! it is sad in these times but you will do well whatever you do.

love the sundae - pink always looks good and love the stickles on the star - good touch.

have a fabulous weekend.

hugs :)

redoralee said...

Hi, Holly, I found you at Outlawz! I am so sorry to hear about your company, but will hold you in my prayers until you let us know that you have a new opportunity.

Nice Cards, by the way!
Be well, Pamela

Vicki said...

Oh Holly, I am sad for you...but hon, if it is any consolation, this happened to me twice in my working career so far...and although I was devastated...in both instances, it was so true that when one door closes another opens...both instances led me to a better place. You will be fine! Your card today is so yummy and really like the pink color...just makes it all the more yummy! And I don't think your star card looks off balance...nice job! Hope your weekend is super!

HUGS!
Vicki

melodydamom said...

hiya

sorry to hear about your company :(
good to hear your are good spirits tho :)

lovely cards, love the colouring in with the copics and the glitter looks great ;)

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

These are gorgeous Holly!! The star card is darling and the sundae looks yummy. Love the added texture and sparkle.
hugs,
Chris

Reflections from Granny said...

Prayers for all that new blessings will come about. Your cards are fabulous.

Blessings, Lori m

Terri Fleming said...

Hey Holly,

Sorry this is happening to you and the others at your company.

I pray you will find something fabulous.

Hugs,
Terri

Marlene said...

Oh Holly, first, I am so sorry to hear this!!! The next person who tells me that the illegal Mexican immigrants only take jobs that no American will do will get my boot up their arse...and I'll give them an extra kick from you. :)

Your cards, as usual, are gorgeous. You've still got your mojo, baby.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers...and hope something comes along quickly. It sounds like you and this company were happy with one another for a very long time. Hugs.

Marlene said...

P.S. I looked at your star card again and see you added the stickled lines! Love it!

*Vicki* said...

Holly, your cards are really gorgeous hun!! I love what you added to the soccer star card...really love that yummy sundae!! :)

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers hun!! BIGGEST HUGS

Niki said...

Holly,
Sad news that your company is shutting down. It's a shock to employees, customers and owners.

Hang in there, I'm sure you'll land in just the right spot. I encourage you to be creative in your endeavors. So many non-profit organizations are looking for people with your creativity and organization skills.

Always enjoy your cards and projects, thanks for sharing!