Monday, May 16, 2011

Two freebies, a new challenge, and an older card

Hi everyone. I want to thank you all for the caring comments you left me about my job situation. I am trying to be positive about everything, but I am also being realistic. I know there are a few things working against me in finding new work. One is my age. I think potential employers may look at me and think "do I really want to put time and effort in training her if she's going to retire in a few years?" Okay, a few years is pushing it. It will at the very least be 8 more years before I retire, but that thought is there. Also, I've been at the same place doing things the same way for so long, that I've not kept up with a lot of the skills offices require employees to know these days. I may take some classes and learn a few things, but I don't know that I'd feel comfortable saying I'm proficient in something that I haven't actually been using in the workplace. These are just some of the things that have been running through my mind over the weekend, but I refuse to let my nagging thoughts bring me down!

Squigglefly has a brand new challenge on the blog today, and while you're there checking out what the challenge is and seeing the fabulous Design Team projects, be sure to get the two new wonderful freebies courtesy of Lynne Stansbery. The freebies are a thank you for helping us reach over 400 followers! You can see the freebies here.

I just had to make a card with one of them.


(click to enlarge)

I colored the image with Copic markers and then using Adobe Photoshop Elements I created the perfect background paper by using the pink ribbon from the image. You can see how to make your own patterned paper by using Adobe Photoshop Elements or the free GIMP program by watching this wonderful video tutorial made by my daughter Chesney.

Since there was a brand new featured stamper challenge at Splitcoast Stampers yesterday, I thought I'd better share the card I made for LAST WEEK's featured stamper challenge before it got lost!

The card I chose is THIS ONE. I liked hers so much that I didn't change it much.


(click to enlarge)

I used the Roses image from Squigglefly, but I changed the color from black to brown before printing. This is another thing you can do with Adobe Photoshop Elements or GIMP that is super easy and fast. You can see how in this video I made HERE.

After printing the image three times on to some Kraft card stock, it was simply a matter of cutting three squares out and sponging a bit on the edges with some Close To Cocoa ink. The border punch is from Martha Stewart, and I tied a bow and added a pearl to the center. I really love the way it turned out, but I accidentally got a bit of glue on the ribbon when I was adding the pearl, and when I tried to remove it it left a bit of a wrinkle and there was still a smudge I could see, so I decided to add a sentiment to the card to cover it up.



(click to enlarge)

I used the same method of changing the color on the Birthday Wishes sentiment, cut it out with an oval nestabilities die, and sponged the edges with the Close to Cocoa. I popped the sentiment up with some pop dots and then added a couple of smaller pearls. It's a fairly quick card to make, and i think it's very elegant.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I wish you a wonderful Monday!

10 comments:

*Vicki* said...

Oh Holly, I just adore those fun Shy Bear Freebies!! :) You've done a brilliant job with the card and coloring!! I love your elegant "older" creation as well!! Gorgeous neutral colors and design!! :)

I wish you all of the best in your job situation hun...it's not an easy decision for sure. BIG HUGS

Shawna said...

Love your attitude Holly girl! Love the cards. I made one very much like it using a butterfly cutout with my Sil. Same ribbon placement, too! :-)

Linda W. said...

Have faith in yourself Holly - the Lord will take care of you in the big hunt! You will be just fine.

I love your card - gives me awesome ideas. When I look at the card with the Close to Cocoa edging, it appears there is a window over each image. So special!

Becky said...

Great cards Molly. Love that second one, so elegant. I might try this challenge out this week :) it will be my first.

Dani said...

I am praying for you and for your job hunt! ((hugs))

Love your cards, you are so talented!!!

Elaine A said...

Holly -

I know how distressing and panic evoking this type of news can be. But I am praying that things fall into place for you. Hang in there and know we all love you. I know that something good will come of this.

Elaine Allen

Kari said...

These cards are awsome,hun!
Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog,you`re a sweetheart!
Have a lovely week,Holly!

Hugs,Kari :)

Dawn Frost said...

Keep positive Holly! Fabulous card and I love the colours!

Marlene said...

What I want to know is...how did you get that bow so dang perfect in the second card?!!! Don't tell me it was the Bow Easy!!! Even with that tool, my bows will never look THAT good!

Hey lady, I hear your fears. I haven't worked in several years (by choice) and often think if I ever did need to go back to work, I'd feel so out of it, as far as my skill set goes. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Tammy said...

Fear not Holly, you will be fine. You have something that most employers relish and that is longevity with one company. Only focus on what you know and don't worry about what you "might" not know. And remember, there are a lot of us in the boat with you.

Love both of your cards!