Friday, June 10, 2011

A Little Self Encouragement?

Hi everyone and happy Friday to you. Before I get on with today's card I want to go on a little rant. You can skip over it if you want, but I just want to say this.
You know I've been job hunting and I've told you how different job hunting is now a days. Everything is on line. Well, I am SO SICK of every single insurance company sending me spam e mail wanting to hire me as an insurance salesman. What could they possibly be reading in my resume that would make them think I am in any way interested in selling insurance?
The next thing I've noticed is a really sneaky, and I think so wrong thing they are doing. They send you e mails saying they've found a job in your area that you qualify for. You read it and think "Well, this sounds like a good job. This sounds like one I could do." So you click on the link and apply and fill out all the information and upload your resume. Then you're taken to another page that says there's one final step you need to take to submit your application - you have to call this number so they can verify information. So you call the number and they ask you a few things that you've already answered in the application process - how them asking you and you telling them the same thing you already wrote in the application verifies anything is mystifying. Then they ask you if you want to continue further education - AHA! This is the thing - they want to offer you financing on furthering your education! There never was any job and they just wasted a bunch of your time! It's infuriating!
okay, rant over - I feel a teeny bit better.

Now today's card is for the Twisted Sister Challenge on Splitcoast Stampers. We were supposed to make a baseball themed card using our favorite teams colors. Well, I don't have a favorite team, but I went with the Kansas City Royals because none of the teams have lavender, and blue is second best.
I did have a great baseball image though! This is Sorrowful Slugger from Squigglefly.

(click to enlarge)

Once it was colored (I used Copic markers and chalk for the sky and grass) I thought and thought about what kind of sentiment to use on it. I finally came up with the "So, you had a bad day " for the front and I made it look like the baseball ball in the card by sponging some red on it. and it made me think of the bad days I've had recently striking out in the new job department, so I made this as a little encouragement card. Here's the inside

(click to enlarge)

Wishing every one of you a great day and hope you keep swinging that bat! Thanks for listening - and looking!

14 comments:

Tammy said...

Ah Holly, I'm sorry but at least you keep going.

Sweet card, the image is perfect for your sentiment.

Chesney said...

They use so many sneaky, under-handed tactics these days that it's a wonder I'm not more cynical than I am.

Linda W. said...

So perfect a card and sentiment Holly! So sorry about those stupid emails too. It seems everyone is seling email addresses these days - even social security, altho they say they don't, I've tested them!

Keep your chin up - the perfect job for you is coming your way!

Hugz,
Linda

bumblebee creations said...

Oh HOlly!! Doesn't that just figure!!! There are so many sneaky companies anymore!!! Ughh...!
I hope you will find something real--real soon!!
Love your card!! That little image is just so sorrowful that you just gotta love him!!

Horsebroad said...

I know it's frustrating, but hang in there!

Linda said...

Bait and switch. I hate that!!! So sorry that is happening to you. Hang in there something should come.
Your car is perfect to give to you.
Hugs Linda

*Vicki* said...

Oh Holly, that must be so frustrating!! I don't blame you at all for wanting to rant a bit!! That is a bit ridiculous...wondering if you could turn them into the Better Business Bureau or something? That's not right at all! They are playing on the bad economy and trying to give people a false hope to reel them in!...anyway..just ranting with you hun!!

Love your darling card and your soft coloring is so lovely!! Have a great weekend my dear!! Smiles

Pam in Ar. said...

Holly! Don't worry, one of these times you're gonna hit a Grand Slam :)

Love the card! You always do such a great job...

Thinking of you even though I don't get to visit your blog as much as I'd like. Hugs to you my friend :)

Dawn Frost said...

I hear you Holly! Everything is on the internet, the employers don't even want to look at you just the resume. So if your resume isn't spectacular you don't even get in the front door :( You have every reason to rant! Your card is fantastic and I love the sentiment on the outside and inside.

Vicki said...

Ohhh Holly, rant away!! Makes you feel a little better and educates us who may have to go through a job search...you are so right that things are just not like they used to be in the job market. Your card is sweet! I really like how you used the ball for the sentiment. I hope you have a wonderful day and a great beginning to your weekend!

HUGS!
Vicki

Shawna said...

This card is perfect, Holly, you need to send it to yourself:-) cause I know that's what will happen, ya just gotta keep batting despite the scoundrels and ner' do wells that are out there preying on the people looking for work. It sucks, I've been there. Just hang tight and keep on lookin', you'll find something. Hugs and prayers to you.

Mel M. M. McCarthy said...

Wow what a pain the spam is in something as nerve wracking as job hunting. That's just slimy, hey? But keep on batting! ;) Love that little guy on your card. Hugs, :o) mel

Sharon Jones said...

Hi, Holly! I know exactly what you mean about those online "jobs"! The know how to reel us in, huh? Hate 'em!
Anyway, your card is so adorable and very well done!! Just keep "batting" honey and you'll find one (it doesn't hurt for me to include a little prayer, either, huh?).
Hugz, cardmakin' sistuh ;D
Sharon

Marlene said...

Your card is adorable...the sentiment is so sweet, too.

As for the bait and switch tactics those idiots are using....if it ever happens again, answer them with "Yes, as a matter of fact. I'm looking for a course that will teach me how to avoid scammers like you!" HA! Grrrr.