Monday, June 13, 2011

Ship Happens

good morning and happy Monday. I hope you all had a fabulous weekend. Mine was pretty good. Saturday was super busy. I told you I had a baby shower to attend, and it was a lot of fun. I piped up during the present opening time to claim any unwanted tissue, wrapping paper and ribbon! I came home with quite a haul too!

Yesterday was play day. I spent a lot of time making a few cards. Since it was Sunday, there was a featured stamper challenge on Splitcoast Stampers challenge and I played along by making two cards. I noticed that a favorite image of the featured stamper was a sailing ship, so I used the Tall Ship image from Squigglefy and CASED two of her cards.


The first card I picked was THIS ONE, and here is the card I came up with.


(click to enlarge)

I used Copic markers to color with and used the Distressed Stripes embossing folder to emboss the background. The sentiment was computer generated. I hand drew the birds, which is about the extent of my drawing capabilities.

The next card I picked was THIS ONE


(click to enlarge)

I really liked her card a lot. I used some plastic that came from a bag someone used for their baby shower gift. I think I would have liked mine a little better if the plastic wasn't wrinkled, but the colors and stripes were so perfect I had to use it.

Today is a brand new challenge on the Squigglefly blog, and Vicki has come up with a masculine challenge for everyone! I think both my ship cards fit in perfectly with that theme, so I'm ahead of the game today! I hope you have a really wonderful Monday, and thanks for looking!

13 comments:

Vicki said...

Ohhh Holly BOTH of these are great! The first one really is great with that embossing! You know me..I love that embossing!
The technique you used on the second one was great too...I think the wrinkled plastic gave it some character! Liking that image too!
Hugs!
Vicki

Reflections from Granny said...

Both great cards and guy cards can be so challenging but you Aced them both.

Hugs, Lori m

Stephanie said...

Holly.......Both of your cards are so, so pretty!!! Love the fact the same image can look so differently on each of your cards. That distressed stripes embossing folder really looks awesome with the boat in the first card........definitely reminded me of the wavy froth of the ocean!

*Vicki* said...

Really gorgeous cards Holly using this ship image!! Such an interesting concept with the plastic!! I've not seen that before!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Linda said...

I love that you saw all that paper and thought create. I do the same thing. The littlest things can make us so happy. I love the cards so perfect for men. Have a wonderful day.

Betty J Schaub said...

these are charming! Any Dad would love them!!!

Tammy said...

Both cards are terrific for a man. Love the plastic on the background, gives it great dimension, very clever.

Patricia St Martin said...

WOW!!! Holly.. Those cards are wonderful. I love both of them. You did a great job on then.
I CAN CONNENT NOW!!!! MY BLOGGER IS WORKING...I'M SO HAPPY.. IT HAS ONLY BEEN ABOUT 6 WEEKS.
Hugs.

JD said...

Great cards...very creative with the plastic! nicely done...

Linda W. said...

Beautiful cards Holly - love them toa pieces! Great job! I just have to get that schooner from Squigglefly!

Marlene said...

Fabby cards - but my favorite vote goes to card #1 because the embossing totally makes this cool! It blends so well with the waves in that image. Me likey.

Dawn Frost said...

I think both of your cards are great but the second one with the wrinkled plastic is the best! Its like you embossed the background, love it!

Heather said...

I love that image of the ship. I have loved every single card I have seen with it. I especially like your first card with the white textured background.