Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cheap Make Up

Well happy Tuesday to you all! No break in sight for our heat wave, and we could use a nice long, soaking rain too!

Yesterday a new challenge began at Squigglefly's blog and this week is Marlene's Marvels who get to inspire you! Marlene has issued a Heavy Metal Challenge. No, you don't have to get out your old record albums or paint your face up like Gene Simmons to play along! LOL! Marlene wants you to use metal on your project! Try brads, or staples, or eyelets, or some of that fun art foil! For my card I went the cheap route and used plain old tin foil from my kitchen cupboard!




(click to enlarge)

I used MakeUp Queen for my image and colored her with Copic markers. I went a little heavy on her blush, but that was so my sentiment would make more sense! At least she doesn't look like Gene Simmons, right? LOL!

I used some silver embossing powder on her earrings and bracelet, and then I filled the middle of the earring with glitter. The background is a piece of tin foil covered cardstock that I embossed with an embossing folder. The sentiment is computer generated and popped up with pop dots.
The card base even has a metallic sheen to it!

I hope you'll go have a look at what the Marvels have done with this challenge. They have all done a fantastic job and used metallic elements in such fun ways. Play along yourself for a chance to win some free Squigglefly!

Have a great day, and thanks for looking!

13 comments:

Tammy said...

Fantastic card and your sentiment is too funny. Love it!

bumblebee creations said...

HOlly--seriously? that is tin foil? AWESOME!!! I will remember that---you are so genious!

Judy Tesla Stark said...

Beautiful work! Great blog. I found you on the Outlawz and now am a follower. Judy

Judy Tesla Stark said...

Beautiful work! Great blog. I found you on the Outlawz and now am a follower. Judy

LaVerne said...

What a great card! You think up the best sentiments!! They always make me laugh.

acreativeneed said...

Wow Holly great use of tin foil!! I've got to try this too. Cute image and sentiment too!
smiles,Deena

Shawna said...

Too funny! Love the card Holly, and as always your coloring is superb!

freida said...

WOW....this is beyond genius! I just love how your mind works when you choose to improvise! Your coloring is phenomenal, as always! Boy have I missed you and your fabulous creations!

So much has been going on in my life for the past few months, but with everyone's thoughts and prayers, I have turned everything over to God because I can't make it without Him. Just hearing your sweet voice yesterday reminded me how valuable friendships are and how priceless our community of friends are when we are down. So to you, and your circle of friends, your thoughtfulness means more than you will ever know.

What a wonderful surprise to see familiar names on the new DT.... (waving hi to Deena!) Squigglefly is so dear to my heart and these new designers, along with the 'seasoned' members, will for sure be among the top to
showcase for these exceptional artists! Boy have I missed all this excitement! I'm just anxious to dig in and get to play again!

Oh it feels so good to be back among my BFFs!!!! : )

Big hugs~

Marlene said...

Tin foil! Wowza! You are so creative, lady. This looks fabulous! Thanks for joining in the fun! I've seen so many fantastic cards for this challenge.

Oh, and I'm laughing at your sentiment...it's great!

Renee said...

tee hee I love this!! your sentiment is awesome!! what a fun card. hugz n blessings.

Pam in Ar. said...

You always come up with the neatest ways to make cards...and you're thrifty too :) LOVE THIS!!!!

Stephanie aka Nerdette said...

So clever Holly. Your tin foil embossing looks so chic. Great trick, will try that some time.

Heather said...

Wow- I would never know that is plain aluminum foil. Love it as the background for that image.