Monday, July 4, 2011

OMG!

Hi everyone, and Happy 4th of July to you all! Today is a brand new challenge on the Squigglefly blog, and it's Heather's first time up as design team leader! Swing by and see what the Headliners have done with her challenge which is "The Good Ole' Summertime!" I plan on making a card for that challenge today!

Well, I have a bit of news to share with you today concerning my new job. Friday was a day from Hell. I didn't leave work until 6:30 and I still had a pile of stuff on my desk to do. Earlier in the day I actually walked back to my boss's office to tell him that I was going to make Friday my last day, but when I got to his office he had some people in there and the door was closed so I walked back to my office. Later he came in to my office for something and I told him that I just didn't think I was going to make it. He was really nice and sat down and talked to me telling me I was doing a phenomenal job and he asked me to just give it a couple more weeks. Then later I was talking to a couple of other ladies who have been working there a month longer than I have and they were both complaining about the extra hours they are working. That pretty much told me that a couple of more weeks wasn't going to make a difference. The simple fact is there is too much work for one person to do. Plus, I had in the back of my mind that the people in Tyler, Texas had told me that it would be a year before I got help. I just couldn't fathom doing that every day for a year.

When I finally left for home I had a lump in my throat and there were tears running down my face before I reached my driveway. When I got inside I just broke down. I know that if I feel that badly after only working at a place for a week, that it isn't for me. I talked about it with my husband and spent a lot of the night and the next day thinking about what I wanted to do, and I finally made the decision to quit. It is better to leave now before they invest any more time in me and maybe they can still contact the other people they interviewed for the position. so, now I'm back job hunting again - which isn't fun by any means, but I do feel good about my decision.

So yesterday, I played a bit making a couple of cards and this is one of them.


(click to enlarge)

I used the Oh No, She Didn't! image from Squigglefly and colored with Copic markers. I cut the letters out with my Cricut and then glittered them with some emerald green glitter. That's what I was feeling like all of my friends are saying about me when they hear I quit my job! LOL!

Tonight we're going to watch the fireworks display put on by the city and we're eating chili dogs for dinner! I hope you have a wonderful celebration today no matter what you do. Thanks for looking - and listening!

14 comments:

Becky said...

Happy 4th of July!
This is too fabulous, love it!

Stephanie said...

Holly, I am so sorry that you just didn't click with the new job. That had to be such an awful feeling just knowing that the job wasn't for you and then making the decision to quit. I'm just happy you got those frustrations out in a "crafty" way because this card is just adorable! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and job hunting! ;-)

Shawna said...

Love the card Holly! I am so sorry the job didn't work out, but sounds like you made the right decision. A year before you would get any help? Are you sure this company isn't affiliated with the people who expect you to take a typing test on a laptop?!?!?!?

Linda said...

Good for you! Maybe the company will get it through their head that it takes more than one person to do the job. Life is too short to work yourself to death.
Perfect card. Something wonderful is sure to happen now that you have been through that.
Sending hugs and smiles. Have a wonderful daY!

LeslieG said...

My favorite saying is that "things happen for a reason" and this job may not be the one for you. I am so glad that you feel fine with your decision and you are prepared to move forward. Love the card and the colors in it! Great job!

LaVerne said...

Too bad about the job! It seems most companies expect their employees to be glad to work extra hours and do extra work for the same pay. Life is too short to have a job that you dread going to. Something good will turn up for you.

Tammy said...

Good for you Holly! It is much more important to feel good about ourselves then it is to please others! Only you know what is best for you.

In the meantime, I love your card! Happy 4th of July to you and your family.

Pam in Ar. said...

I think you're awesome, Holly!! Something will come your way and it will feel right to you :)

Loved the card! I'm wondering what you'd put on the inside??
Look at all those wrinkles, Who IS that in the mirror, Is that really me????

LOL, Hope you have an awesome 4th and keep your chin up!!!

Mel M. M. McCarthy said...

You ROCK! Congratulations on sticking up for yourself & following your intuition. Some kinds of heartache are just not worth living through! :) Love your card. The green makings it pop & the glitter & embossed texture is gorgeous. Sending you hugs!

bumblebee creations said...

I think you are right--if it made you that miserable already...
I wish I had your guts!!! Love the card Holly--and again-congrats on the submission that got accepted into the magazine!!

Dawn Frost said...

I think you're right to quit! 6:30 and you're just leaving work, wow talk about stress! Fantastic card, as usual, keep your head up!

Marlene said...

First - your card is FABULOUS. I love the greens....great color choice. What a funny image.

Second - you know, you've gotta go with your gut feeling. I, too once had a job I just KNEW wasn't going to work out. I tried to quit THREE TIMES but each time, I was made to feel like it WOULD get better, and I felt guilty (though I had no reason to) for leaving this doctor in the lurch.

Well, the fourth time I actually QUIT, I walked out. I'd had it. (She "forgot" to pay her staff.) Uh huh. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Moral of the story: Get out while you can. And you did. Kudos to you. Something else WILL come along.

Reflections from Granny said...

Holly, I'm so sorry the job didn't work out, prayers the right one will come your way.

Hugs, Lori m

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

good for you!!! ALWAYS go with your guts!!!!

super fun card!

hugs :)