Monday, September 12, 2011

blue flowers on your birthday

Good morning everyone! Today is a great Monday for a couple of reasons. The first is because there is a brand new, fun challenge on the Squigglefly blog to try! Heather has given us a color challenge this week, but she's going in the opposite direction of last week's cool blue/green challenge. This week the challenge is a hot red and orange challenge! That sounds like the perfect challenge for Halloween cards which we'll be needing before long, so why not join in the fun?!

Another reason it's a great Monday is because unbeknownst to all of you, yesterday when I posted about the Craft Gossip Fork and Talk event I went to on Saturday, I decided to give the first person to comment on my blog something from my goodie bag. Tammy Hair was the lucky one to comment first, so I reached my hand into my bag and pulled out this fabulous prize



It's an American Girl Sew & Stuff Raccoon kit. You make one for yourself and one for your American Girl doll! How cute is that? I think any girl would love it even if they weren't into American Girl. The kit is geared toward young adolescent girls so it would make a nice gift to a girl to introduce them to a craft, or you could make it yourself and give it as a gift! I will be doing more of these giveaways, but they'll always be a surprise - so comment whenever you visit because you never know what you might win! I have a lot of stuff to share with you - so spread the word!

I do have a card to share with you today. It's a birthday card that uses one of the flowers from the Flower Set at Squigglefly. I really enjoyed using my colored pencils to color these when I used the kraft card stock, so I wanted to use them again using white card stock.




(click to enlarge)

Before printing the image, I changed the color from black to blue. You can see a video that shows you how to do that using a photo editing program HERE. I also used the Birthday Wishes sentiment from Squigglefly, changed the color of it, and printed these both at the same time. Once printed, I used colored pencils to color with. the border at the bottom was embossed with a border embossing folder from Provo Craft. It's a pretty quick card to make!

I hope your Monday is wonderful, and thanks for looking!

14 comments:

bumblebee creations said...

Awhhh.. Holly-This flower card is gorgeous--and I hope you have a great week at your new job!

Tammy said...

Thanks so much Holly, looking forward to receiving it!

Love your card, the flower is absolutely gorgeous!

rocqee said...

So beautiful! Sounds like that Craft Gossip Fork and Talk was a real fun day. After all you've been through with your recent job challenges you deserve it.

Anonymous said...

WHAT? You did Marleen's colors!?! It's orange/red today! Humph!

Congrats to Tammy, Yeah!

Your card is pretty. You do as well with pencils as you do with Copics.

See Ya!
Terri / Brat

Marlene said...

Is that BRAT above complaining because you employed my cool colors? ;)

Lovely card!! I bet it would look amazing in a blazing red hue, too!

Lucky Tammy!!!

Pam in Ar. said...

yay for Tammy :) I love the colors in your card today.....they make me think of the beach for some reason and I don't even go to the beach LOL. Thanks for sharing, hope your day at work was a good one :)

JD said...

Lovely card, Holly, Thanks for sharing the link with the digi for the flowers. I missed that one. It is definitely going on my wish list. Thank you for the nice comments on my blog. Hope you have a good day.

Dixieglitzie said...

thanks for sharing your pretty card with us and for sharing the "how to" video too. :)

marilynprestonn said...

Beautiful blues! Ahhhh, I love this simple and stylish card Holly. The embossing on the bottom is so feminine. :)Peggy

scraphappy4067 said...

Beautiful card!!....I love how you changed the color of the ink before printing out!!...very clever!!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

way to go tammy!!!

holly! the card is absolutely gorgeous!!!

hugs :)

Mel M. M. McCarthy said...

Those racoons are too cute! Love your flower card. Those colours are stunning. I can't believe I missed the blue green challenge (those are my colours) but orange is hot too. ;)

acreativeneed said...

So pretty Holly! I love this shade of blue and how you changed the image...so cool what we can do with digis! Great birthday card!
smiles,Deena

Reflections from Granny said...

Very pretty, hugs, Lori