Friday, September 30, 2011

White and Blue Christmas

Hi everyone! Yay for Friday and Yay for the end of September! October brings cooler weather and today a cool front is heading our way and it looks to be an absolutely gorgeous weekend!

I have been having such fun at work this week. My boss has three kids; a 10 year old girl, a 9 year old boy, and a 5 year old girl. They were out of school on Monday and came to visit me a little bit. I showed them how to make the Kirigami Christmas tree. Well, the little boy is super interested in origami so every day I've been bringing little things to show them how to make. Yesterday I brought them each a whirly gig that I made with some string and a button. I showed them all how to wind it and then make it buzz. The youngest one couldn't really wind it up by herself, but she was thrilled to wear a button necklace! The other day I took one of those trick severed finger in a box things and gave it to the boy to scare his sisters and friends with. He loved it! The youngest girl is into cutting paper and gluing - she's sure to grow up to be a crafter of some kind.

Today's card started out with an idea in mind, but the idea didn't pan out. I know what I have to do to make my original idea work, but I haven't done it yet!


(click to enlarge)

I used Nina Brackett's Merry Christmas Flourish and printed it in blue to match my paper. I punched a Martha Stewart snowflake punch out of the card stock and then punched another one out of some blue card stock and layered it behind the punched out snowflake in the front. My original idea was to have the punch slip through the punched out shape and then twist to hold the card shut, but a snowflake is a little too detailed to work like that. I think it would work perfectly with a simple flower or square shape.

I hope to make lots of cards this weekend so I'm not such a bad blogger next week!  Have a great day, and thanks for looking!

11 comments:

Linda said...

So happy you are having fun at your new job. I missed what you are doing now. Were are you working?
I love the video of the tree. Great idea
I love the card. I have always loved Nina's images.

Tammy said...

Absolutely beautiful! Love the simplicity of this gorgeous card.

Pam in Ar. said...

I am so happy you like your new job Holly!! It also sounds to me that when you get some grandkids, you're going to make a great Grandma too ;)

As usual, great job on the card...I never get tired of seeing the things you make to show us :)

Enjoy this beautiful weather.....

freida said...

Guess who?!?! Home for the weekend and just had to see what was going on in your world! Oh how I have missed you!!! Hospice believes the end is near so I'll be heading back on Mon.

Hearing the excitement with your boss's children warms my heart! Oh what a fabulous 'Mamaw' you will make! CAN U HEAR ME GIRLS???

Your card is simply EXQUISITE! Love the simplicity and it just makes me more eager to get over to SF to see what all I've missed! This Christmas flourish is GORGEOUS!!!
After I play catch-up around here, I will look forward to going back thru your posts to catch up on some overdue inspiration! It's SOOO good to be home... even for a lil bit!

Love ya bunches
BIG hugs~

bumblebee creations said...

so glad this job fits you better! love your card!!

Elaine A said...

Gorgeous card Holly! I'm glad that the job seems to be working out well for you. And thank you so very much for the videos. I love your tree!

Elaine Allen

Marlene said...

So happy to hear you're having some fun at work...but really, a severed finger?!! Shame on you!!! You're ROTTEN!! (And I love it.)

Your card is gorgeous. I love blue on Christmas cards. Very elegant.

Dixieglitzie said...

Holly this card is so pretty with all of its clean and crisp lovliness :)
So good to hear that things are going so well at the new job. I am truly happy, happy, happy for you.

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

gorgeous!!!!

how r u? hope all is well. things good here but time is sure zipping by. where the heck did september go? i don't even remember one day of it!!! sheesh!

hugs :)

acreativeneed said...

Hi Holly, sounds like you are doing well at your new job! It's great that you are sharing these cute ideas with these kids, they must love it!! Your card is lovely and your idea sounds like it will work with a simpler cut out. Have fun!
smiles,Deena

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the DigiFree category today [05 Oct 09:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria