Monday, October 17, 2011

Cookies and Cards

How do these look? Yummy? They are!



  I think this is quite possibly the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I've ever made.  If you're afraid to try the bacon,  leave it out and it makes a great basic chocolate chip cookie.  When I found the recipe, they said they made three batches of the cookie mix - one the regular way, one they browned the butter first, and the last one they browned the butter and added bacon.  they took the cookies to a party and the bacon ones went first with people asking for more and saying "why didn't you make them all like this?"  The browned butter ones were the second favorite, and the regular ones they had some left over.  So, I think the secret to making them really good is browning the butter.  Anyway, here's the recipe if you want it.

1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
14 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup chocolate chips ( I used the mini ones)
1 cup bacon that's been fried until crispy and diced into roughly 1/4" pieces.

Heat 10 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over medium-high het until melted.  continue cooking, swirling pan constantly.  Watch carefully as butter can go from brown to burned quickly.  When butter is dark golden brown remove from heat and immediately transfer to heat proof bowl.  Stir the remaining 4 tablespoons butter into the hot melted butter and stir until melted.  Add sugar, dark brown sugar, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until completed mixed.  Add egg and egg yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth and there are no lumps of sugar remaining.  Let the mixture stand for a few minutes and then whisk again for 30 seconds.  Do this several times - you want to make sure that the sugar has "melted" into the liquid.  When ready, mixture will be smooth, thick and shiny.

Using a wooden spoon, stir in the the flour and baking soda until just combined.  Stir in chocolate chips and bacon pieces.  Don't over mix, but make sure no flour pockets remain.  

Place heaping teaspoon of cookie dough on baking sheet and bake at 375 for 10-14 minutes.  Mine took 11 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool.

I'm taking some to work today to see what the guys there have to say about them.  My husband tried them and liked them a lot although he did make a face when I told him there was bacon in them!  If I had told him before he ate one I don't think he would have tried them.

Okay, I do have a card for you today although I didn't make as many cards over the weekend as I had hoped.


I made this for the featured stamper challenge on Splitcoast Stampers yesterday. the card I picked to CASE can be seen HERE. I used the Spotty Frog Prince image from Squigglefly. Now before you think "prince?" there is another frog in the set that has a crown!  I colored this with Copic markers and added some googly eyes for fun.  The sentiment is computer generated.

today is a new challenge on the Squigglefly blog, so be sure to go see what Marlene wants us all to do!  Have a fantastic day, and thanks for looking!

11 comments:

Tammy said...

Interesting use of bacon! Your cookies made me hungry! Adorable card Holly. Love the little frog and his goggly eyes.

Elaine A said...

Darn Holly -

Those cookies looked so good I wanted to reach through the monitor and grab one - LOL! And I like the idea of adding the bacon, kinda of sweet and salty. Hey, you are talking to someone who tried crispy pork skin dipped in chocolate once. And I have to admit I was hesitant to try, but it was delicious. So I know those cookies are yummy. I'll have to try those cookies for the holidays and not say anything. Thanks for sharing with us.
I love the frog card. His googly eyes just make his so sweet.

Elaine Allen

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card and like colors chosen.
Your cookie recipe sounds Awesome. These I just gotta make.
Thank U 4 posting the recipe.
My secret ingredieent in making chocolate chip cookies is that I add just a pinch of cinnamon.
ColleenB.

acreativeneed said...

Very cute Holly!
smiles,Deena

acreativeneed said...

Very cute Holly!
smiles,Deena

bumblebee creations said...

Love the card Holly--cookies with bacon, I am not sure that even sounds good!! But I guess one never know unless they try it!

*Vicki* said...

Hey Holly!! I stop by for a visit and here is this big plate of cookies for me!! :) YUMMY!!! Fabulous card too hun...love the google eyes!!

Hope all is well with you!! BIG HUGS

Pam in Ar. said...

Love those googly eyes Holly as for the recipe...I think I'm going to try it..I'll let you know when I do :)

Marlene said...

Love your googly-eyed card...but bacon in cookies? Really?!!

scrappin sista said...

The cookies look yummy and the card is cute!!

JanR said...

Bacon. In cookies. Seriously? Must be one of those American things. ;-)