Monday, October 3, 2011

Splitting Trees

Hi everyone! Have you had a great weekend? Mine was really great! I made a few cards on Saturday and got my grocery shopping for the week completed. Sunday I got the meal preparation done and then we gathered at my brother in law's house for some family game time. I found some new games for us to play, and they were fun! If you're looking for some fun family games to play I can highly recommend Telestrations and Talkin' Tango! I also managed to make a card for the featured stamper challenge on Splitcoast Stampers yesterday!


(click to enlarge)

I'm sure most of you have heard of the Split Negative technique where you stamp your image in black on white and then again in white on black and cut them in half and piece them together. Well the card I chose from the Featured stampers' gallery used that technique, but I had never tried it with digital stamps before. I thought this was the perfect time to try it out!

It turns out to be very simple in Photoshop elements! I just opened up the image which is one of the trees in Where the Love Grows at Squigglefly and went to the "filter" button at the top and clicked on "adjustments" and then "invert" to turn the black area to white and vice versa! then I printed out one regular image and one inverted image and cut them in half and put them together!

After that it was a simple matter of coloring in the hearts and tying a ribbon at the top.  I hope you will give it a try sometime soon!  Don't forget that there is a new challenge on the Squigglefly blog today!  Try your hand at the challenge Marlene has set for everyone and you could win your choice of Squigglefly images - including sets!

Have a wonderful day, and thanks for looking!

8 comments:

Tammy said...

Love you card Holly! Black and white is always stunning especially against the vibrant rose.

scrappinkaren said...

I love the way you did this card. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sharon Jones said...

I haven't done this in a looong time, Holly. Your card is beautiful. Time for me to try it again - it's fun to see how great they turn out!
Hugz2u!

Pam in Ar. said...

I have been so far removed from stamping this year I'd never heard of this technique before. LOVE it!!! I cleaned off my surface yesterday and have decided it's high time to return..this will be a great start :) Thanks for sharing Holly..

Glad you had good family time this weekend..hope your sister id doing well.

bumblebee creations said...

I love this Holly!!! gorgeous combo!!

Stephanie said...

Holly.......You are a genius!!! Love your take on the split negative with that tree. It's just perfect paired with the red! Love it!

Marlene said...

Oooh, love the mirror-image technique you've got going here. Beautiful!

Dixieglitzie said...

Thanks so much Holly...I LOVE all of the help you give me in Photoshop. Keep 'em coming lady :) This card is just the coolest thing ...thanks so much for sharing this with us.