Thursday, November 15, 2012

Christmas Spirit

Hi everyone! I'm still working on my tatted snowflake. I've had to throw out a lot of mistakes, but I am determined to get it! I had to seek help from several sources on reading the pattern I had, and I think I've got that worked out so now it's just up to me to keep practicing! I would like to say that if you are interested in learning how to needle tat, RustiKate has some wonderful videos on youtube. In fact, it was watching her videos that had me wanting to give it a try. I contacted her yesterday with my questions and she was so kind to write me back with answers and some very helpful tips!

 Today I've got a card that I made for a fun challenge at the Outlawz Greeting Card Challenge. The theme is to Craft Your Stash, in other words use something that you might otherwise have thrown away. First I'll show you my card and see if you can guess what my trash was.


The image is one of the newer images at Squigglefly called Christmas Bird and is drawn by Diana Garrison. It comes with two different sentiments, one of which I used on my card.

 I love how the card turned out. I want to make several more in other colors. I used Copic markers to color and added different colored gemstones to the ornaments hanging on the tail feathers. Have you guessed my trash yet? I used my trash to create the background. I had some scrap pieces of card stock that I had punched snowflakes out of and I used those as a stencil to sponge turquoise snowflakes on to the white card base. Once I had the snowflakes down, I then sponged a lighter metallic blue all over to mute the snowflakes some.  It was fun to do, but I had blue fingers for a day and half!

Have you caught the Christmas spirit yet? Sometimes it's slow coming for me. I get over saturated with it all being in the stores too early and hearing Christmas music on the radio non-stop, but before I know it I feel the stirring of the Christmas spirit inside and find myself humming the Christmas tunes myself and itching to decorate packages. This year it seems to have come to me a little earlier than usual. Maybe it's the colder weather or being around the young kids at my job who are so excited for it that it's rubbing off.

Have a fantastic day, and thanks for looking!

6 comments:

Georgette said...

Gorgeous!! The colors you chose are just lovely.

Sharon Jones said...

Stunning card, Holly! I love how you did that background and adding the gemstones really sets the bird off beautifully! Good luck with your tatting! Can't wait to see it. I know what you mean about "catching" that Christmas spirit from the children...they'll do it to you everytime!
Hugz2u!

Linda W. said...

Just gorgeous Holly - what a great idea for the background. I hope you just went right on stamping backgrounds for many more cards - this would be an easy task for producing in quantity! I love Diana's productions too!

bumblebee creations said...

your card is gorgeous--now I have to go check out this tatting...

Tammy said...

Beautiful card Holly and the background is worth blue fingers! I'll still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this time next week we'll be eating turkey!

Kathy Bradley said...

Holly,
So very pretty! I like the gems you've added as ornaments - lovely and elegant! What a cool border die you've used as well!