Monday, January 27, 2014

Saying Goodbye To A Dear Friend

Hi everyone.  On Friday I lost someone very special to me, and the world lost a loving soul.  This morning I will be going to her funeral to say goodbye.  I met Claudette Carr when I went to work for her and her husband way back in 1977.  She became more than my employer.  She became a friend, a teacher, a mentor.  She was like a mother to me, and has helped shape me into the person I am today.  She made me a better employee, a better wife, a better mother, a better friend, and brought me closer to Christ.

I had been making a few get well cards for several people, and one of them was to go to her.  Before I finished the cards, I learned of her passing and I had to move to a sympathy card instead.  When I worked for them, there were a couple of pictures that she had hanging in her office that I just loved.  One was of a hummingbird.
Hummingbirds were something that she and I talked about often.  Each summer she would call and ask if I had seen any at my feeders yet.  They seemed to come to my yard before hers, so if I was seeing them she would know to put her feeders out.  She read a book about a lady who had a hummingbird in her house over the winter, and once when I was leaving work for the day I noticed that there was a hummingbird in the warehouse and I knew that it would not make it trapped in the warehouse over the weekend.  I decided to go home and get my feeder and take it back to the warehouse where the bird would at least have food.  When I was hanging the feeder, the bird came and landed on my finger!  I brought the bird home and kept him in my bathroom for a day.  Surprisingly, the bird would automatically come land on your finger if you raised your hand up high with the finger extended.  Claudette came by to let the bird land on her finger and she took many pictures.  We let the bird out the following day, and all that summer the bird stayed near our house feeding from our feeder and he would still land on our fingers!

When their company closed down 3 years ago, Claudette gave me the pictures and they hang in my craft room today.





With these memories in mind, I chose to use a hummingbird for the sympathy card, and I let the print be my inspiration.  The hummingbird I used is a freebie from Squigglefly.





10 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Your cards are so beautiful.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss, but may precious memories of her keep her alive in your heart.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

LaVerne said...

Beautiful story, beautiful art, beautiful card!!

wannabcre8tive said...

A very beautiful card for your precious friend. So sorry about your loss.

Faith A said...

What a wonderful and inspirational story, love the fact you were able to see the bird so close up.

Beautiful paintings and a beautiful card and sentiment for someone so close to you.

Steph said...

A very beautiful card Holly. Sorry for your loss. May the memories live on!

Sheila said...

I am so glad you have such wonderful memories of your dear friend. Your card is beautiful. I am sure she is smiling down on it.

Becky said...

So sorry for your loss. Beautiful card Holly.

Tammy said...

What a wonderful legacy she has left you Holly! Beautiful pictures and beautiful card.

bumblebee creations said...

Wow...what a story, Holly! And what a perfect card to give to the family, with just the perfect sentiment!

Bibi said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Holly.
The card is beautiful, and knowing the story behind it makes it even more precious.

My thoughts are with you.
Warm hug from Bibi